BOLT ?

pearl111

Reaction score
Could a stainless steel 5/16-18 bolt replace a 5/16-18 #5 harden bolt?
Other words would a stainless-steel bolt be as hard as a #5 bolt?
I'm guessing 304-stainless steel.

...... Cancel this question, I just learned that the stainless steel is a little more than a #2 grade ......
...... Sorry I tried to cancel the question, but the system would not let me.

Last edited:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Weighs less than aluminum but is stronger than steel! You can’t make a knife out of it either because it is impossible to sharpen! I tried!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I used a titanium turbine fan blade out of a generator. My dad had worked at a power plant. There was nothing I could use on it to sharpen it. Find out how she did it. Because a wet stone, oil stone or diamond stone won’t touch it!

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
just went up and looked at it it appears to not have an edge. ill ask my dad i be he would know how to sharpen one.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
I used a titanium turbine fan blade out of a generator. My dad had worked at a power plant. There was nothing I could use on it to sharpen it. Find out how she did it. Because a wet stone, oil stone or diamond stone won’t touch it!
dad wants to know how you made it from a turbine blade to knife shape. he says if you forged it, the titanium can react with oxygen forming a titanium alloy NOT TITAINIUM OXIDE thats not fun to get off or grind through.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Not forged, dad took and gave it to a machinist at work and they spent weeks and many bits with a mill trying to make a 6” knife! Then I have spent decades trying to sharpen it. I’ve come to the conclusion it can’t be done!

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Cavemen sharpened rock tools
...with harder rocks :thumbsup:

Define "sharpen"
...like simply "bring the edge of the material, to a point"?
...or establish an "edge"?

Um...Have you tried making a slurry or paste with that Saw-Glu stuff? :innocent::devil2:

I'll betcha that stuff will "sharpen" 'er right up :bannana:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I’ll bet it won’t. I’m talking about an edge to be able to cut stuff with! Like I said diamond stones won’t do it!

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
Not forged, dad took and gave it to a machinist at work and they spent weeks and many bits with a mill trying to make a 6” knife! Then I have spent decades trying to sharpen it. I’ve come to the conclusion it can’t be done!
hmmm, titanium, according to my dad, isnt all that hard. you should be able to attack it with an angle grinder. maybe you got a funny alloy.

pearl111

Reaction score
A new bolt question the two symbols on these boats indicate that it is a hardened Bolt? I know the letters does not indicate a hardened bolt but I was wondering about the symbol under the lettering? These boats are American 3/8" x16 TPI.

Attachments

• IMG_20230327_183556_379.jpg
    IMG_20230327_183556_379.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9