Bolt broke off in shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
I just got a new engine off warrant b/c my old broke. I was just installing the new engine and putting on the clutch and on the last pull to tighten the bolt it broke off in the shaft. Are there any ways of getting it out? It'd suck to have this brand new engine wrecked.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Get yourself a bolt (screw) extractor. Drill into the center of the broken bolt, and the LHT flutes on the extractor will dig in and turn it out.

Attachments

• useScrewextract.jpg
    useScrewextract.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 5

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
They do come in varying sizes. I used one recently to extract a stuck and stripped main jet outta my Briggs Twin carb. If they'll do that, they'll do anything! I have used several types of extractors over the years (I have 3 or 4 types in my collection) and this one impressed me! Believe me, I was ready to scream when I thought that jet might be a permanent fixture!

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Pretty straightforward. Carefully drill a hole down the centre of the broken bolt. You will likely have to centrepunch it first. Make the hole small, perhaps 1/8" or a bit smaller. Work up in size until the hole is large enough to get the first 3/8" or maybe 1/2" of the extractor in. Using a tap handle (if you don't have one, then use a wrench), turn the extractor in counterclockwise until it bites, then keep turning until the bolt is out.

fowler

Reaction score
If u broke the bolt while putting it in then u are Likely to wind it in further when u drill it as the drill spins clockwise

U may need a L/H drill bit and that will screw it out as u attempt to drill though it

Have u tried getting long nose pliers or a screw driver in there
Usually if u over tighten it and snap it then the weight is off the thread and u can screw it out my hand

If u forced the bolt in, if it reached the bottom of the hole or was seized then u will need an
Easy Out ( extractor)

If the bolt is stuck in there good and tight then be careful u don't over tighten the easy out as they are very brittle and if one snaps then nothing u have will get it out
They are impossible to drill out trust me I've tried with everything from standard drills to diamond tipped (it wasn't me that broke it but it was my job to extract it)

It requires a very steady skilled hand with an oxy cutting tip to blow it out

fowler

Reaction score
ha its a mine site thing

well we broke that but its not important and we dont have time so leave it
by the time the machines come for there big rebuilds we spend alot of time fixing the hundreds of little things that have been bodged up

geneso

Reaction score

does this look like a broken bolt?

fowler

Reaction score
it looks like a fuzzy mess

but seriously
u are better off starting your own thread
and get a better pic

it does look like rod in the middle but wether its a bolt is anyones guess

it looks likke there is a hex around it though so it may be a nut

realfast89gt

Kart Krazy!!
Reaction score
On a side note, Toystory;
How do you get out a really small bolt (like M6 or M4) ?

Yes, they come small enough for those, just takes more time and patience since you still have to drill the center out of the bolt to get the extractor to bite enough. I have done many different sizes, and make sure you use the extractor by hand only, no power tools or it will snap real easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.