"BigVortex" mini-car

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Nice work on the modeling. You have a great skill and imagination. The Mad Max looks tough and easy to maintain.

BigVortex

Reaction score
Hello.

Almost assembled the rear suspension and pedal assembly.

20210219_194106.jpg 20210219_194058.jpg

20210207_172902.jpg 20210210_192511.jpg

I poured oil and gasoline. The engine started. I'm glad.
From the cons-exhaust gases from the muffler hit the driver in the back. I will make a new silencer.
Still need to install shock absorbers. I think they should be installed under load, when the car is already with wheels.

There is still a question: do I need to transfer the gas tank to the main frame?

To be continued…

BigVortex

Reaction score
Hello.
Looking ahead, I will say-the car goes.

Assembled the brake system

I moved the car to a garage on the street. Put all the pieces together. The first time I took a ride. Video of the ride coming soon...

20210314_193511.jpg

What you need to finish:
1 - parking brake, 2 - seat belts, 3 - move the engine shutdown button to the driver.

To be continued…

Attachments

• 20210311_191947.jpg
    20210311_191947.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 1
  • 20210311_192006.jpg
    20210311_192006.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 20210313_173351.jpg
    20210313_173351.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
yea that looks great the reason you need a cage to have seat belts, is so if it flips you dont get crushed while belted in. if it flips you dont wanna be strapped in with no cage.

BigVortex

Reaction score
The car drives, and even very fast :p.

My son is happy. He has already invited friends to go for a drive on Sunday.

It's just my job to make my family happy :cry:

is so if it flips you dont get crushed while belted in.
Goes without saying

I'm thrilled, to be able to start and finish such a big project. Thank you for support.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I would like to encourage you to build a roll cage for your kart. That is a lot of steel to have sitting on your chest in case of a rollover. Nice job by the way. I like it. 😁

BigVortex

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I haven't written for a long time. The news for the past 2021 is as follows:
1. A homemade silencer was the first to fall apart in April. The exhaust pipe fell off after welding. The silencer was replaced with a stock one. However, I had to redo the issue, because at the drain it beat towards the seats. I changed it so that the exhaust gases beat back and down. Well, I also had to move the gas tank to the right otherwise the muffler wouldn't fit.
The hands reached the repair of the muffler itself only in winter. I sawed it into two parts and inserted a disk with a hole under the exhaust pipe in the middle. Now the exhaust pipe is welded not only to the body, but also to the inner disk, and the muffler has become two-chamber.

2. Somehow the front wheel fell off. The lower ball popped out. Inserted, tightened, let me think I'll check the other nuts, but they're all not tightened properly. My son collected the front end, but I did not control it. As a result, I checked and tightened everything in a circle. Well, I got into the habit of checking everything before the trip.

3. In the fall, the variator belt finally tore. The machine started twitching at the start. I bought two new ones. I changed one, I saved one.

4. Also in the fall, the chain suddenly began to fly off. I pulled it by moving the engine, but it didn't help, the chain flew off again. And one day, in the process of picking, I noticed that the frame pipes that go from the bridge to the engine platform at the back just broke above the welding. Brewed - broke again. After thinking about it, I concluded that the frame design is incorrect. The chain, when pulling the sprocket, creates a bad moment and turns the rear of the frame, which leads to a rupture of the pipes. In the end, I decided to redo everything. I cut off the old pipes and replaced them with plates 4 mm thick. I also added attachment points to the gearbox crankcase and to the rear cover of the bridge. I've been wanting for a long time and finally added a drive sprocket protection pipe. Another plus is the chain tension device - consisting of a corner with a welded nut into which a bolt is screwed.

5. While the car was disassembled, I decided to get rid of the too soft rear suspension. I bought and installed two additional shock absorbers. Now the rigidity suits me, the bouncing at the start has disappeared.

The result of the year: Children, from young to old, have mastered management. There are enough chair adjustments to adjust for anyone. The older one likes to drift, and I also like to run around with a skid, although there is a lot of dirt flying into the cabin, wings are needed, at least the rear ones. And I also like the fact that you can safely rush through all sorts of gullies, which you will never allow yourself to do in your usual car. During the New Year holidays, snow piled up, so much so that in order to ride in our clearing, we had to first dig a rut. I wouldn't go there in a regular car, but this one is easy, if it gets stuck, you just push it out and drive on. Oh, we would like a lock and four-wheel drive. Well, a reverse would also not hurt. But probably, under new wishes, it's better to start building a new project.

Good luck to all and see you again :wai:

Attachments

• 1920.jpg
    1920.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20211222_173537.jpg
    20211222_173537.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220108_122309.jpg
    20220108_122309.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20220108_122320.jpg
    20220108_122320.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210416_192002.jpg
    20210416_192002.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 3

redflash

Reaction score
The video of the miata rear end is what I have done, little tricky making the can...couldn't find any tubing the correct size, so I rolled some sheet metal and made a thin can. I did not use the miata half shafts, that would have made the buggy too wide, and created a mountain of mouting issues. So far It hasn't given me any problems I just have solid 1" axle shafts bolted to the 4/bolt stock diff mounts...runninh thru standard go Kart Bearings.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Way cool! Great job! Glad to see the kids having fun with it. They have to be proud of you. But it looks to me like you need to build a few more so everybody gets one including you! As they say there’s fun in numbers! You not only built a fun buggy, but a lifetime of memories for the kids!