Best wire brush stripping paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nodroz

New member
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
1
Location
Belgium (Europe)
Just wondering about the video you posted, Fabro - how long will these disc last? They seem very weak to me. Or am I wrong?
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
They're stronger than they look. They're not like sponge, basically, they're like fibreglass strands coated in a hard resin with some grit thrown in. They're somewhere between a wire wheel & a flap disc.

I went through 3 cleaning my trailer panels; that equates to about 6 square metres of multiple layers of paint & rust. They have a slightly shorter life span if you catch an edge but, a flap disc will do that too.
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
Got mine the other day. EBay £5 special. Worked an absolute treat! Leaves a nice surface for paint too. However, I only managed to strip the swing arm and sheet steel side panels (light surface rust and sciffing for paint). The disc was then destroyed.

I tried a fairly worn flapper disc. Worked pretty good, but no where near as well. Seemed to 'smear' the paint some how instead of strip it off. However the flapper discs last far longer and cost about 1/4 of the price!

I would rate the poly discs 9/10 for ease of use, 9/10 for stripping and finishing, and 5/10 for durability. I was expecting it to last far longer.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
2 out of 3 ain't bad :roflol:

Did you go gently with them? Added pressure will wear them out quicker. They don't like corners either.

The flap discs only "smeared" the paint due to the extreme friction/heat they produce as a result of permanent contact; you don't get that with the strip disc because the contact is broken by the holes
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top