Best wire brush stripping paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
Hey,
Stripping kart frame for painting- about half done (main frame still have to do swing arm, wheels etc.)
Tried a few methods- first a cup twisted brush on 9" grinder- worked ok, bit cumbersome.
Then tried a flat straight brush on drill, worked OK. Then nodded this brush to a 4" grinder, worked really well but the brush is destroyed and it flicked loads of wire out over time into my hands and clothing (wore goggles and ear defenders)

Since I needed a new brush what would be the best for stripping off paint/ rust/ mud/ oil from the rest of the parts, as well as do corners and tight spaces and last for the rest of the job and hopefully longer. Ideally for a 4" or 4.5" grinder, the 9" is overkill and cumbersome, hard to get in tight spaces, and 2kw is way overkill! The 375w on the 4" hardly bogged.

Thanks,
Rob
 

jman231994

New member
Messages
724
Reaction score
3
Location
Australia
I second Fabroman on that one. I was going to suggest them myself. I have/had one for my drill and it was absolutely awesome. It's stuffed now from use, but if I'm desperate I can still use the stub thats left to take stuff off. As long as you dont slam it into sharp edges they last heaps long. I think with mine I did, almost 2 bicycle frames and heaps of other smaller jobs I have now forgotten about.

I'd recommend the grinder version even though I havent tried it. The drill one was wonderful for me, but my friend bought one and tried to use it with a 2 speed drill. It just wasnt spinning fast enough to work properly.
So yea, go drill if you have a nice fast variable speed drill, the drill one is good for getting into tight spots where a grinder wouldnt fit
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
I have used the drill ones previously but, I most recently used the grinder ones on my trailer panels. Four layers of paint, including a layer of industrial paint at the bottom & it tore through it like a hot knife through butter.

Edit: Just before you ask, the only thinig they will do to the metal is give it a light polish :D
 

jman231994

New member
Messages
724
Reaction score
3
Location
Australia
Edit: Just before you ask, the only thinig they will do to the metal is give it a light polish :D

If you hold it there long enough it will make a noticeable difference to the metal, not cutting gashes in it or anything though.
I think its really good in that aspect though. I recently used one on fallenleopard's go kart after welding a crack in the frame for her. After grinding the weld back as smooth as possible the wheel on the drill cleaned it up absolutely perfectly, if I hadn't have done the welding myself, I honestly dont think I would be able to tell it was repaired there.

EDIT: Also, when I say smooth with an angle grinder....It really wasnt, I suck with an angle grinder hahaha
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
EDIT: Also, when I say smooth with an angle grinder....It really wasnt, I suck with an angle grinder hahaha

:eek:fftopic: slightly.

When using an angle grinder, always brace yourslf against either a bench or the job itself, this makes for a much cleaner job. Apart from that, invest in some flap discs (a pack of 5 will set you back around $12 @ Bunnings), they last forever & give a much cleaner result.

Sorry for the hijack, chez
 

jman231994

New member
Messages
724
Reaction score
3
Location
Australia
:eek:fftopic: slightly.

When using an angle grinder, always brace yourslf against either a bench or the job itself, this makes for a much cleaner job. Apart from that, invest in some flap discs (a pack of 5 will set you back around $12 @ Bunnings), they last forever & give a much cleaner result.

Sorry for the hijack, chez

Thanks for that Fabroman, I'll give it a shot next time. I think my general issue is trying to get the grinder into places it wont go haha.

Soo....r_chez.....do Fabroman and myself have to keep going on about how good these things are hahaha :D
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
A cheaper method would be to use a flap-disc on your grinder. Cheaper, and lasts a while if used right.

The only problem with that is flap discs eat metal, strip discs don't. You can go as hard as you like with these things & the worst that will happen is you'll wear it out & polish your metal
 

klicky96

New member
Messages
558
Reaction score
0
Location
Sandusky, Ohio
The only problem with that is flap discs eat metal, strip discs don't. You can go as hard as you like with these things & the worst that will happen is you'll wear it out & polish your metal

If used correctly, you wont eat through the metal. Flap discs are delicate. Push harder, do more damage. Hold lightly, make love to the metal.
 

jman231994

New member
Messages
724
Reaction score
3
Location
Australia
If used correctly, you wont eat through the metal. Flap discs are delicate. Push harder, do more damage. Hold lightly, make love to the metal.

Yea but the other rapid strip things (dunno what theyre meant to be called....to me they are scruffy wheels lol) are idiot proof.....the longer you hold it there the prettier your metal becomes :D
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
If used correctly, you wont eat through the metal. Flap discs are delicate. Push harder, do more damage. Hold lightly, make love to the metal.

:iagree: More experienced users can do great things with any tool but, the younger, less experienced members don't usually have that level of patience :roflol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top