Best Subaru(Robin) engine & Where to Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Professor

New member
Messages
20
Reaction score
2
Location
Cascadia
Some of you may remember my Subaru BRAT kart from last year. I've been enjoying it a lot, but the 3.5 hp and constantly jamming starter cord have become tiresome.

I've decided that it would be fun to repower the kart using Subaru power, but I'm not very familiar with their engine lineup and what would best suit a kart.

Do these engines enjoy a healthy aftermarket? I know Subaru made a kart-specific engine at one point, the kx21, but haven't been able to find much info at all.

Am I crazy for wanting to "keep it all in the family"? Should I just say screw it and get a Predator?

Thanks for any and all input!
 
Messages
357
Reaction score
7
Location
Dallas, TX
I bought a kart that had the EX13 engine on it, and while it shows that it is rated for about 5hp it feels pretty down. Now I know the 212cc has more cc's and more hp but the power is night and day, and my ex13 now is just sitting in the shed doing nothing much. I may use it for some other project but probably not in the near future.

As far as aftermarket I have not researched it too much but holy wow are replacement parts expensive. The foam air filter alone runs for about $20 on ebay, new carb is more than a new predator 212. I know this is for the EX13 that I am writing but for me it leaves a little to be desired in the power delivery. After a nice clean of the carb and tuning the engine runs beautifully, just need the right project for it.

--Dan
 

B_Bimmer

Member
Messages
200
Reaction score
1
I have two subaru engines. They are pricey to fix and have a finicky carb. I recommend if you want fancy go Honda, otherwise get a predator and have fun.

---------- Post added at 01:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

The ones I have are the ones linked above. After going through them they run great and yet they sit while I have since bought four predators for projects. Until subaru realizes that parts is part of the business I would avoid.
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
94
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Keep the Subaru for nostalgia and potential resale value and get a Predator in there for Max Fun!
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
252
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
I agree.. with the price of a subaru ex21 (or worse kx21) you can buy several 21 predators easily..

but if you insist:
buy an EX21 (211cc 1cc less than the predator... overhead cam.. great engine!)
to 'make' it a kx21 you can buy the complete head (with cam and valves) and the carb and remove the governor..
that'll increase the compression ratio and basically make your ex21 a kx21 (every other part as far as I know is identical)

full tech specs and differences between the engines you can find on
kx21.com.au

'sid
 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,204
Reaction score
4,183
I say do the Subaru engine. What would be cooler than that?

To keep costs low either go for used or buy new and get a spare used engine to cannibalize for parts when the need arises. Or just be on the lookout for discount parts since all I ever hear about is how costly they are.

Since the Brat kart is rare and more or less pristine, I don't expect that it gets much excessive usage so that would put your costly maintenance fears to rest I should think.
 

Rob711

New member
Messages
64
Reaction score
0
Location
Long Island, N.Y.
I have a Subaru on my power washer, runs great. Mayb check your local CL for a washer with a blown pump. I had no idea that parts were expensive for these. Being the self proclaimed Subaru nut u absolutely have to stick with Subaru.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top