Best drill bits to drill metal bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
If you're doing a lot of drilling into metal, spend the money on M35 or M42 Cobalt high speed drill bits. They'll last a long time compared to normal high speed steel drill bits. Expensive but worth the money.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
He's got a broken bolt on a TAV--sheared the head clean off. He started this thread specifically for this issue.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Hmmm well if it's a grade 5 or less that broke off, it shouldn't be too much of a pain to use a regular high speed steel bit to drill it out. But part of the problem maybe that it doesn't drill out right and may need to be retapped.

KamKarts

Reaction score
Drill out and re tap is what I had to do.... to late for a test run... will update soon

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Used reg high speed bit

---------- Post added at 09:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

I'd like 2 thank everyone for the ideas and info

pearl111

Reaction score
When ever I drill metal I always use oil so that the bit cuts better. Sometimes I use plenty of it and always take time to stop and let your bit cool down a little. This helps cheap bits drill better and last longer.

I have good bits and I still do this with them. They drill better and last longer.

Neal collins

Reaction score
Get a reverse cutting bit most of the tine it will catch and screw the broke bolt out five done it quite a few 👌

Status
Not open for further replies.