Best cheap mild 224 build?

G.W

Reaction score
I wanna build out my 224, but that is kinda expensive. Do 212 hop up parts work on this? Thanks

panchothedog

Reaction score
You are probably aware that aside from the cylinder head, the cam journal diameter is different between the hemi and the non hemi. The hemi beings about
.005" smaller. Even though the 224 is a non hemi ( at least the 2 that I own aren't)
it uses the smaller diameter hemi cam. I think they need to be clearanced before installing. The stock cam looks like it. I put in a billet rod and flywheel in one of mine and for the cam, purchased one from OMB Warehouse that comes already ground on and fits with no issues. It cost about $10 more than the regular cam. Well worth it in my opinion. To install the ARC rod takes a lot of clearancing of the block. At the bottom of the cylinder sleeve on the front side, and at the back of the block above where the low oil senser port is. The Grey Goat Garage has a pretty good video on how to do it. Lots of time involved ( for me anyway ) to assemble, check, tear apart, grind some more, ect ect and so on.

Darren

Reaction score
If you want to improve the engine for little extra power for minimum $ then:
Get yourself a cast Ali flywheel and some offset keys for timing, non hemi engine uses the same GX standard taper (apparently)
Gas flow the head, or just buy one already done, If you do it yourself, it's only really your time for cost.
Buy an appropriate exhaust, and a better carb, plenty of gx shops will offer an upgrade.
If you are going to increase the revs past 4000, then you need to take care of valve float with higher lb springs and now definitely change the cam. Get a good engine oil made for these engines, ZDDP oils help protect wear surfaces and can save your engine.
Red beard garage has quite a few videos on the predator.
If you start to go past, say a stage one build then you are looking at a flat top piston, thin head gasket, billet rod, higher lift/duration cam. All this to make the engine breath better and push harder.

Reactions: G.W