Bending Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosch

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of metal experience, so figured I'd just ask first...

I need to bend this new exhaust pipe in order to screw the muffler in. Can this be done by heating it with a butane torch and hammering on it? I don't want to break a mounting stud on the engine.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Uhhh, no...... You will , I repeat will break the studs if you go beating on that pipe while it's attached. The butane torch might not get it hot enough to bend it either. It needs to be cherry red before its easily bent "by hand". But since you have a torch, take off the exhaust and find another piece of pipe that fit over it. (Cheater pipe) Now go outside to the hitch on your truck. Put one end of the exhaust inside the reciever and hold the other end ,..... Crap.... I used a solid rod through the ID of the flange side as my cheater...... Anyway, heat it as hot as you can, then pull/push on it to get the bend you need. Go SLOW so you don't kink it or warp it too bad. You can keep repositioning it and make a bunch of small bends..... :thumbsup:

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
It looks like you just need to remove the gas tank then you can spin 360*.
NEVERMIND oh the muffler.

Last edited:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Do you weld

Yes...a little....thanks for asking....oh wait....you weren't talking to me.....it looks like what you want to do is straighten that pipe.....which does make a huge difference.....less chance of kinking.....easier to do....(metal would rather go back to where it was....than some place new.....:rolleyes:

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
If you can weld, cut the pipe at the flange and weld it back on where it needs to be.

justinlogue5_0

Can't leave it Stock!
Reaction score
If you can't weld you can mark where and how you want it and take it up to your local high school's metal class. They will usually do it for you for a small donation.

Status
Not open for further replies.