Belt shavings

Yerfman56

Reaction score
I just built my first go kart. I put a 8hp diesel on it with a 30 sieres torque converter. It has a 10 tooth with a 80 tooth. It's a two person smaller yerf dog so some times I have 300 pounds in the cart. I have the cover on for the cvt but I noticed that along the engine there is very small pieces of the belt. I was wondering if this is normal. Also I was gonna change the cvt spring to the 1st hole but since it's a diesel it red lines at 3600 rpm so I was worried I wouldn't get much speed, but I really don't know how that system works. Thanks for your help

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Check out the video link below, he explains it pretty well. You're bound to see some black belt dust buildup over time, but little chunks is a warning sign of possible poor pulley alignment. Your driver clutch pulley is the variable, you can slide it onto the motor shaft with the wrong spacers between it and the block so that the belt doesn't align straight with the driven pulley.
Changing The Spring Setting On a 30 Series Torque Converter - How To Get More Torque - YouTube

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Chunks of belts are a sign of a cheap belt or the need for a heavier duty cvt like a 40 series. Diesels make more torque by design. If I was in your shoes what I would do is try the proper sized Genuine Comet belt first. If that does not work I would then upgrade to the 40 series with a Comet belt. You could also try to tighten up your secondary broken also. Go to Gokart Supply website to learn all about CVTs.

52Ford

Reaction score
No reason for a GOOD belt to chunk. Try replacing it with a new one from a reputable brand.

Yerfman56

Reaction score
Alright thanks. I wouldn't say chuncks though, just fine dust. Enough to where it's noticeable

Yerfman56

Reaction score
Ok this might be a dumb question, but I have no idea what comet belt to buy. Do any of you know which one it is for those ebay cvts? Mine now is a yameige 669. Thanks

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Not dumb at all Yerfman, you're smart enough to be here finding answers. All you have to do is read. Go to the Gokart Supply link above that I gave you and at least read the first part. It tells you exactly how to measure your center-to-center distance and your pulleys outside diameters.
Then scroll down to the first belts heading, which is for your size belt, which is a 30 series 3/4" wide asymmetric belt. There's 11 belts listed for a 6" driven pulley at various center distances, and 10 listed for a 7" driven. Look back at instruction #4 if your centers distance is between the listed measurements.

52Ford

Reaction score
One of the random names they stamp on belts that come of a factory in China. Had something like that on an import drill press. Crazy thing is, it lasted about 40 years before I replaced it. It only broke because I tried to put 1-1/2 HP through an old 3L belt.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score