Belt problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldskool

Reaction score
Not sure if I have a belt problem on gokart or if I have the wrong belt, or drive line thats causing belt problems. Wondering if anyone can help?

Heres what happened, after running the yerf dog with the new 11 hp clone noticed small tear on top of belt. Its not completelt torn just a little. I did notice on takeoff the tires chirped especially on slow turns. Is that the belt slipping?

Heres the breakdown of mixed parts I have running this kart:
Using original yerf dog jackshaft and asymmetrical belt on a 1" comet torgue convertor. The belt is 3/4 top width. I am running 20" tire, axel sprocket is a 60 tooth and the jackshaft is 10 tooth which is about 36mph? Wondering if a 14 tooth on jackshaft is possible to get more speed? any thoughts?

I also noticed that the torgue convertor outer shell spins free by hand when egine is off..is that normal?? I can see the torgue convertor working when increasing the rpm.

I am thinking that maybe I have the wrong belt but not totally sure. Hate to spend money on a wrong belt, put alot of payolla into this ride for kids already! Any help or tips is appreciated:confused:

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
changing to a 12 0r 14t sprocket would would get you to 45 to 50mph which may be a bit fast for your kids(have you driven this thing with the 11hp and tc at top speed, this should be shredding tires, which is prob more fun then going 50

oldskool

Reaction score
Its definitely climbing over any obstacle, almost me as well! The top end is lacking, but alot of torgue. Yeah, I thought of putting maybe a 14t sprocket on the jackshaft for a little more top end. Is that easy to do? would i need to change my chain? I believe its a #35. Wheres the best place to buy one? I'll try to get pics uploaded tommorow!

oldskool

Reaction score
I think my comet is a 40 series. Still worried about the belt, not sure if I need a belt for a 40 series when Iam still using the original jackshaft from the yerf dog that used a 30 series. Will replacing the torn original with the same one? Or do i look for a different belt made for the 40 series? Sorry, just confused.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
a 40 series needs a different belt than a 30 series! also the 30 series jack shaft is 5/8" but the 40 series jack shaft is suppose to be 3/4", also on the driven pulley your cam should be closest to the engine, the distance between pulleys on 30 and 40 series is prob different, please check out info on that site i gave you a link for earlier!

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
check what kind of chain you have, 14t will require new chain as it will be larger and need more chain, 14t should get you to 50mph but cut down on your torque. 12t may be better

T-man

Reaction score
oldschool, might I make a suggestion, with that type of TC and that type of HP it would be safer to use a 40 or 41 chain, but that means getting a new sprocket for axle and jack. that size of engine + no gov + weight of kart + your weight / 35 chain = scarry idea. at those speeds

oldskool

Reaction score
Thanks r97, T-man. So, i should look into a larger chain for safety sakes is a good idea. Where do i get the chain and sprockets? I did not remove the governor yet and maybe later as my one kid is evil kineviel recarnated! r97, what do mean by "on your driven pulley your cam should be closest to the engine"? What cam..on the driven pulley?

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
the cast peice of metal on the top of the tc driven pully in this pic
that "cam" should be closest to the engine like this
you can get chain and sprockets here http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=275 if you get new chain you'l need a chain tool (if you don't already own one) if buying the #40 chain tool leave a comment in the comment box during check-out that it must work with #40 chain. you can get sprockets here http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=171, check the type of chain you have using this chart http://www.gokartsupply.com/chain.htm, also #41, and #40 both work on #41 sprockets but #41 chain cant work on a #40 sprocket. also check to see if your rear sprocket is welded to the axle, if it is leave it there, if its also #35 sprocket you will have to use that sprocket as a hub for a new sprocket

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
I think my comet is a 40 series. Still worried about the belt, not sure if I need a belt for a 40 series when Iam still using the original jackshaft from the yerf dog that used a 30 series. Will replacing the torn original with the same one? Or do i look for a different belt made for the 40 series? Sorry, just confused.

You cant run a 30 driven behind a 40 driver the belt angles are different.

oldskool

Reaction score
r97, my cam on driven pully is facing away from the engine, so its backwards? I left it mounted originally when it ran with the techumsi 6.5. I just ran belt with same setup as the original except motor and torgue convertor. I am trying to upload pics but battery dead on camera and now i am charging it.
KmcCormic, thanks but what do i do now? Should i look for a 40 series driven pulley..sounds expensive, is there a cheap fix-different pulley?

oldskool

Reaction score
Thanx kenny..well anyone with 40 series driven pulley for sale or trade???
Have a 8hp briggs that needs to be rehoned, 24mm mikuni used twice on briggs, mikuni fuel pump, a 30 series comet torgue convertor and NOW driven setup.

oldskool

Reaction score
Solved

Thanx for all that helped! I now dont need a 40 series driven. Found out i have a 1" comet 30 series torque convertor NOT a 40 series. The belt problem is a misaligned engine and jackshaft..will fix asap. :wai:

Status
Not open for further replies.