Belt Drive?

l008com

Reaction score
I use expensive chain lube on my MTB, but I asked my neighbor what he uses on his motorcycles he used to have because that would probably be a better choice for the chain on my go kart.

Well he said his bikes were actually belt drive and I was like ZOMG thats perfect!

I already have a belt based torque converter, but then it switched to a chain to connect the jackshaft to the axle. Are there kits to convert that final chain to a belt? I don't use my kart much but I still want to keep it well maintained. But I mostly use it around the 'hood while it's snowing. I like the idea of converting that to a belt. Is that even a thing though? Does this axle to jackshaft connection have a specific name? If you google belt drive go kart, all you get are torque converters.

Rat

Reaction score
The ONLY advantage to a belt drive is that it is functionally quieter.

The disadvantages are:
Dry rot
Stretching
Slipping unless it's a cogged belt with toothed pulleys (like a Harley or other big belt bikes)
Replacement pulleys are far more expensive than sprockets, and that's after you've taken an educated guess and gone through a few to find the size needed
Harder to make fit because unlike a chain there's no making it shorter as needed

Absolutely not worth the headaches at all to even attempt for only one advantage with so many reasons not to even think of it as possible.

Last edited:

JimD

Reaction score
Some of the things said about belt drive are true but if you look at Pfeifer Industries web site you can get a good education. Why yes, same address as Max-Torque. That is my son's company.

Belt drives are used on enduro karts (lay down karts) going FAST but on very big tracks. Also all the rental karts that have gasoline engine use the belt drive. It is quiet, doesn't need lubrication like a chain, doesn't stretch but they are expensive, that is true. They bolt onto the same carrier hub that a two piece sprocket does. The normal pitch of the belt is 8mm. Another disadvantage is when you have to replace the belt you are taking the rear axle out to put on the new belt. Enduro racers put a second belt on at the same time they put on the first belt and attach it to the back of the seat with tie straps. Belt drive is run tight while a chain is run loose.

I changed a chain drive on my Phatmoto to a belt drive because I wanted it quiet and didn't want to move the engine to adjust for chain stretch. And it was clean and didn't have to take the cover off to lube the bushing and the chain on the primary drive, the jackshaft to the rear sprocket I left the chain. I was going to market it but I would spend all day on the phone telling people how to do it because it was a pain since the jackshaft was splined and the shaft was metric. Had to change the shaft to 5/8" with a keyway and the bearing to English. I found some of that Yak grease Denny is always talking about.

Rat

Reaction score
First thing I always do on brand new bearings is pop the covers and spray non chlorinated brake cleaner to remove the yak boogers, and then pack with industrial hi-temp brake and bearing