• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Be careful guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Just thought I would remind everyone that karting is a dangerous sport-
yesterday i rolled my buggy and my right hand got trapped between the cage and concrete. I have now got a splint and a fractured 3rd metacarpal. I wasn't even going fast.
Hurt like a *****, and it was quite a minor injury. Have to write with my left hand for around 3-6 weeks :(
Food for thought.

machinist@large

Reaction score
Battle damage

That's a rough one.... you didn't get to badly shredded over and above the break, did you??(Other than your pride). And if you have even worse luck, they probably didn't give you pain meds that actually do anything (a lot of doctors seem to think that placebos are all they need to prescribe.):ack2:

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Was my good hand yep. writing is going to suck. Already pissed off with it, I want to fix my mountain bike and go jumping through the local forest but can't :(
they gave me no painkillers, took a paracetamol and iburprofen, only hurts if I wiggle my hand.
What sucks even more is without the cage my hand would have been fine...

OzFab

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I've broken both hands, my left 3 times... in the same place (yes, I'm left handed). The best advice I can offer is keep it in a sling; letting it hang naturally can hinder healing.

It will annoy the crap out of you for a few days until you get used to it, then, about a week later, the itches will set in; do your best to overcome the urge to scratch the life out of it :roflol:

If you think the healing time is bad, wait 'til you get to the physio :ack2:

I don't mean to scare you, just preparing you for the worst as I've been ther & done it:thumbsup:

On the positive side, you'll get a lot of sympathy attention from the girls ;)

only hurts if I wiggle my hand.

Here's a tip: Don't wiggle your hand :roflol:

mckutzy

Reaction score
Bummer deal man, well least you alive, and not you head in between.
I think next time you'll need some hand straps. They keep you your hands near the wheel in a roll over , but you can pull them off quickly in an evac situation. A friend told me of these things he had on his odyssey, saved his hands many a time.

Nodroz

Reaction score
Aw, that sucks. Sorry to hear man.

I hope you'll be fully recovered as soon as possible. I never broke anything, so I don't know the feeling. :p

Goodluck and stay safe. :great:

augidog

Reaction score
i hate when that happens.

mind the doctors and don't mess with it until it's properly healed, or it'll come back to haunt you later.

"tattoos with better stories"...that's pretty good.

(i can't believe noone's asked how the buggy is)

augidog

Reaction score
somehow i guess you took me seriously...it was only a friendly chuck on the shoulder to lighten 'chez_08's mood, just like i woulda done in real life. we're just a buncha guys hanging out in off-topic, right?

it's already happened, and i know it had to hurt and still does, but no sense being all doom & gloom about it.

(in real life, i could prolly help out with that pain issue ;) )

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
somehow i guess you took me seriously...it was only a friendly chuck on the shoulder to lighten 'chez_08's mood, just like i woulda done in real life.

it's already happened, and i know it had to hurt and still does, but no sense being all doom & gloom about it. we're just a buncha guys hanging out in off-topic, right?

(in real life, i could prolly help out with that pain issue ;) )

Oh, I know. I wrote what I did, more as a PSA than anything.

augidog

Reaction score
heck yeah...all sorts of stuff can happen to the new guy, and new stuff happens to old guys too. we never stop learning what can go wrong, but hopefully we get wiser from it, and live to make more new mistakes.

hate to admit it, but that challenge is kinda half the fun.

like training yourself to grab something internal instead of the roll bar. not saying Rob made that exact mistake, but you get the point. how many motoring-mishaps do we relive over and over and ponder what we would have done differently? hopefully all of them.

ya gotta respect the machine's ability to do something different than what you wanted it to do...

in other words "Be careful guys!"

jfxwave

Reaction score
I would just like to point out what the OP said
What sucks even more is without the cage my hand would have been fine
I know the OP has allot more experiences then I and he knows this but just so anyone thinks that the cage is worst having then not is wrong. He might have hurt his hand but it might have been allot worst if the cage wasn't there.

Safety is rule #1

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words :) and advice fabroman. I think I will leave it in a sling for now.
The ironic thing is that I told someone that morning that I had never broken anything! The buggy is fine, apart from the headlight got dented. I really don't know why it rolled! All I did was drift?
Both my dad and a bloke who works for him told me it serves me right- told my parents I came off my minibike tho- they would be more pissed otherwise!

Keit1212

Reaction score
Dang! I have broken an arm before and man does it hurt. My forearm was broke in to a perfect L shape lol! Plus they found out two weeks after I had it set in the emergency room it was set wrong...So I had to have it re broke and set again!

Also I haven't wrecked anything but a bike when I was a kid and 2 days ago I wrecked my minibike. Now granted it was my first ride on a minibike and any motorcycle type vehicle period. But man was it a rush. Luckily I veered off the road a slid through the grass.

Well I hope you have a quick recovery and get well soon!

Unbrokenhope

Roughneck
Reaction score
Speaking of wrecks I have a little 110cc mini buggy I got the other day, I rolled it just the other day within five mins of riding it. Threw me out and I faceplanted on the dirt road, road rash on the face, sprained my right wrist and pulled a muscle in my back, but a week later and almost back to normal

B.M.800

TheBeal.
Reaction score
Ouch man!
So far so good for me. Worst Ive done id wheelieing a baja minibike and the forks come apart... messed up the perfect front fender too. :roflol:
:roflol:

Needless to say, I tightened up them forks...

Status
Not open for further replies.