• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

BBQ Sauce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I've already PM'd a Proffessional for his secret family recipie with 27 herbs and deadly chemicals....but I thought...what the hey?

What commercial sauces do you guys like....and what kind of concoctions or modifications to commercial sauces are you guys up to?

machinist@large

Reaction score
Does Arby's sauce count? Famous Dave's has a very spicy one that's at the upper end of my taste range, but my local store doesn't carry it anymore (though the larger stores in the same company still do).

As I said, I really like Arby's sauce, along with A1's Thick & Hearty. If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll get the Bold & Spicy, but that's just a little too much for regular fare. That being said, a 1/3 dose of Bold & Spicy added to a 2/3 dose of Thick & Hearty goes together well. If I don't have any Bold, adding Louisiana brand hot sauce to taste is also really good.

And as I posted in another thread, we've got some really great Mom & Pop BBQ operations around here that have some great family recipes.... To bad they're seasonal..... And I heard one request for the recipe answered with "We could tell you, but then We'd have to kill you"........... Kind of hard to appreciate good BBQ that way..... :surrender: :surrender:

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Real BBQ doesn't need sauce, should be optional. There's a local place near me that makes a white sauce for their smoked chicken that's excellent. Having said that, Atlanta is surprisingly devoid of decent BBQ.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Nothing you mentioned qualifies as a BBQ sauce. Even Arbys doesn't call that Roast beef catsup "BBQ sauce"....but "Arbys sauce".

Now I really enjoy it on their sandwiches....but it's NOT BBQ sauce....and neither are Arby sandwiches.

And the rest are STEAK SAUCES! Ahhhnt!!!! Fail!

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Real BBQ doesn't need sauce, should be optional. There's a local place near me that makes a white sauce for their smoked chicken that's excellent. Having said that, Atlanta is surprisingly devoid of decent BBQ.

Well...that's kinda true....at the same time...it's like saying good fries don't need catsup.

The truth is...as you said...good BBQ DOESN'T NEED SAUCE.... But a good sauce on a good BBQ....is not beatable by bare BBQ.

Edit: I should add... On a sandwich!

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
The truth is...as you said...good BBQ DOESN'T NEED SAUCE.... But a good sauce on a good BBQ....is not beatable by bare BBQ.

Edit: I should add... On a sandwich!

If I go to a place that only serves their meat covered in sauce, then I know i will likely be disappointed. Also, meat needs salt, I don't want to add that myself to find the flavor.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
If I go to a place that only serves their meat covered in sauce, then I know i will likely be disappointed. Also, meat needs salt, I don't want to add that myself to find the flavor.

Never been to that place....everywhere here serves it on the side.

But...what has all this got to do with sauce RECIPIES?

machinist@large

Reaction score
I've already PM'd a Proffessional for his secret family recipie with 27 herbs and deadly chemicals....but I thought...what the hey?

What commercial sauces do you guys like....and what kind of concoctions or modifications to commercial sauces are you guys up to?

:huh: :huh: :huh: I provided that and I get this in response?!?!?!? :surrender: :surrender:

Nothing you mentioned qualifies as a BBQ sauce. Even Arbys doesn't call that Roast beef catsup "BBQ sauce"....but "Arbys sauce".

Now I really enjoy it on their sandwiches....but it's NOT BBQ sauce....and neither are Arby sandwiches.

And the rest are STEAK SAUCES! Ahhhnt!!!! Fail!

Famous Dave's. And as I posted on BBQ Joe's thread most of the" Sauces " around here are ketchup carbohydrate coma bait with different colors. Hence the reason I have come to like what I listed in his thread, as well as this one. EOS

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
mmmmm arby's bbq sauce FTMFW !!! Cant never get enough and i can eat it straight from the wrapper !

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
Real BBQ doesn't need sauce. Fake boiled or baked BBQ needs bunnytonnes of sauce.
Some on the side ok. But slathering a real BBQ sandwich with sauce before even tasting the meat, is a slap to the pitmasters face, and a kick to the rubber parts.

And Holy blow my brains out jumping up and down tap dancing Jesus, don't go into a real BBQ joint and ask for cheese and mayo!
:2guns: :2guns: :2guns: :2guns: :2guns: :2guns: :2guns:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Arby's is NOT BBQ sauce!!!!! Yes....very tasty flavored ketchup that's a perfect compliment to their bland roast beef sandwiches. Talk about inedibible without sauce....I triple dare you to eat that crap plain!!!

Like going to a Mexican restaurant and eating the chips without salsa!!! Chips and dip are tasty too....but NOT BBQ!!!!

And....horseradish and salad dressing???? Give me a break!!! Again....tasty stuff....but miles away from anything BBQ.

Want to try some absolutely HORRIBLE BBQ???? Get an Arbys "smokehouse BBQ sandwich" or whatever they call it.

As previously mentioned....good BBQ doesn't require sauce...but usually requires 12-16 hours of smoking!!!

So....back to sauces .....PLEASE!!!

And Sweet Baby Ray's IS my second favorite supermarket bottled sauce....but Secret Six is better...and to beat it ....you have to get into those high dollar sauces like Jack Daniels or something.

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
The real problem trying to get anyone dialed in on BBQ, is that it's highly regional.
Kansas city BBQ requires turkeytonnes of sauce to be slathered on even while cooking to give you a sweet sticky mess.
Texas BBQ on the other hand is nicely smoked, and served without sauce on it.

Go east, and the BBQ sauce base changes from ketchup and brown sugar, to mustard and vinegar.

Another YYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEE problem, is that a lot of folks think that anything with bbq sauce on it is BBQ.
And don't even get me started on the dif between grilling and BBQing.

If your ribs are falling off the bone, we have a word for that: Overcooked.
If you use foil, I hope you and your children's children all suffer from infected ingrown toenails.

I was once driving by a truckstop though, somewhere in Texas, when I heard a woman come on the CB and proclaim, stop in at such and such and get yourself some of our boiled pork BBQ!

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Haha. That's funny you should say that........ I had the arbys smokehouse just yesterday for lunch. lol

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I mentioned I like Sweet Baby Rays. For the record I use it on Frozen Fried breaded Chicken Fingers.
Don't laugh. With a full time job and three kids, Quick and easy, Fills your belly, sustains life and makes a turd, has to be an option on a weeknight.

I agree BBQ sauce is NOT for BBQ. I just gives a smoky BBQ flavor option to otherwise crappy foods that would require ketchup.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
The real problem trying to get anyone dialed in on BBQ, is that it's highly regional.
Kansas city BBQ requires turkeytonnes of sauce to be slathered on even while cooking to give you a sweet sticky mess.
Texas BBQ on the other hand is nicely smoked, and served without sauce on it.

Go east, and the BBQ sauce base changes from ketchup and brown sugar, to mustard and vinegar.

Another YYYYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEEE problem, is that a lot of folks think that anything with bbq sauce on it is BBQ.
And don't even get me started on the dif between grilling and BBQing.

If your ribs are falling off the bone, we have a word for that: Overcooked.
If you use foil, I hope you and your children's children all suffer from infected ingrown toenails.

I was once driving by a truckstop though, somewhere in Texas, when I heard a woman come on the CB and proclaim, stop in at such and such and get yourself some of our boiled pork BBQ!

Actually, Joe....I'm getting ready to do EXACTLY that!!! I'm not ready to get castrated and thrown out of Texas for calling them "BBQ ribs" although really they kinda are.

They are finished on a BBQ "GRILL" with sauce and high heat....but everything cooked on a BBQ is BBQ....right? What else can you call it? Grilled? Ummmn....No...I make "Grilled " cheese sandwiches in a cast iron skillet!!!

Sooo...anyway...parboiled ribs...finished on a hot grill are tender and tasty...but definitely not "Official" BBQ!!!

Soooo....here's a homemade BBQ sauce that I have made..that is good...very different...and doesn't fit into any regional categories....because it's not sweet nor vinegary...

Not easy to make...and I won't give EVERYTHING about it away....but anyone that wants to REALLY want to try something different could take the basic idea and run with it.

It's more a basting sauce than a side sauce...and it's basically just savory...and doesn't carmelize like sugary tomato based sauces...but more like dehydrates...although it's not bad if it chars.

It started with a very specialized ingredient: 'Fooled You' jalapeno peppers I grew. Fooled Yous have absolutely no heat...so I grew them to make mild pickled jalapenos...but some didn't get picked and turned red on the plants....so I decided to make harmless "Chipotle" peppers and smoke and dry them.

These were the base...then after blending with water...cooked with onions, paprika,garlic powder, salt , pepper and a touch of Worcestershire....and a little Adkins BBQ seasoning...yielded a tart, savory basting sauce...(almost a liquid rub.)

And...I often take those store bought sauces...add a few "secret" ingredients...and COOK them...and it totally changes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.