Backfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Ok, so I bought and modified a socket to fit into the spark plug hole. Got the plug out easily and found it had a bit of nasty looking oil(?) on it, I cleaned it off and tested it, nice blue spark still. Threw it back in the engine and tried starting it, after getting no sympathy form the engine I took the plug out again and saw it had not gotten more oil on it.

I'm crossing my fingers that oil isn't leaking past the rings or guides (hoping it jut accumulated from a minuscule leak over the years). I will mention that the front plug hasn't been checked (wasn't even connected when i was turning the bike over after removing the first). I would think if that was the only problem the rear cylinder would sill catch no? I'll try it tomorrow anyhow.

One other thing I'm concerned about is the starter motor. It seems to turn VERY slowly, maybe getting the engine to 60RPM, I'm hoping this may be the issue? They do sell rebuild kits, about $20, but I will have to wait for it to get here.

I will probably order new plugs anyway, just to be sure. Really not excited to start checking timing or compression...

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Before condemning the starter motor, ensure the battery is fully charged, and that all connections are tight and corrosion-free. If it used a solenoid (relay) ensure that it's good, too.

For troubleshooting these things, you can use a booster cable off battery+. The starter relay should have two large terminals on it, one going straight to the battery. If you touch the booster cable to the other terminal, you will bypass the relay. If the engine turns faster, you've narrowed down the problem. Another bypass method is to use a large screwdriver to short the two large terminals together, again bypassing the relay. Of course, this test depends on the connection from there to the starter being good. You can also apply 12v+ directly to the starter to bypass everything to see if there's an improvement.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Ok, I'll try that, I have been using a jump start battery because the PO exploded the old one..... Do you think the starter motor could be leading to theses problems? I jumped to the motor because there is lots of oil around it, and oil leaking into the starter (causing a slow turning motor) is a common problem for these bikes.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
If an oil-soaked starter is the issue, then I would suggest you can skip the rebuild kit. Just clean the he// out of it (maybe brake or carb cleaner) and reassemble. Then fix the oil-causing issue.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
The oil leaks past an o-ring (the motor is sealed into the crankcase BELOW the oil level). Of course this means I must drain the oil I just put in.... :D. I will probably try to borrow a compression tester too.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Yeah, kinda weird, but i'm sure they had some reason. Its not a huge deal to remove the oil, but I want to put it back in. That means 'm going to have to buy/make some oil draining pan with a valve to fill a bottle.

I jumped the starter directly, and that sure made me jump, lets just say I guess I DIDN'T leave it in neutral as I had thought. All is well though, I then tried the screwdriver technique but got zilch. I looked over the wiring diagram and to my understanding nothing else should need to be jumped, I guess I just had a bad connection. Anyhow I'm packing this away for the night, the office is on ;).

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
After spending about 45min removing the front plug, I found out it was in like new condition, so I cleaned it a bit and threw it back in. Now when I went to turn the bike over all I heard was the click of the relay. Eventually I narrowed it down to the wire from the motor to the relay. The wire had a hole in it, was completely corroded, and the connector near the motor just came right off. Unfortunately the connector is rusted onto the brush, so unless i can get it off, I'll be ordering that rebuild kit and draining the oil.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Looks like I will be removing the starter. At this point I'm thinking I may rebuild the engine now to cut down on the number of times I take it apart. Basically just break it down and take care of some basic things, and tidy it up so it's easier to work on. Then rebuild anything severely worn. The whole thing will be coming apart at some point to re-paint it, so I figure why not make it easier to work on now.

Status
Not open for further replies.