Back to the stubborn kart

Reaction score
Okay so I FINALLY got my jackshaft in for this kart, I ordered about 3” longer than the OG shaft because the 30 series driven pulley is a little wider than the 20 series. Anyway, now my question is since I had to adjust for that it’s left some obvious space in between the pulley and the shaft housing, can I use a spacer to fill the gap? It’s not going to prevent it from doing it’s job if I do add a spacer will it? I don’t have housing secured right now as I’m going through adjustment stage but essentially I need about 1/4” of clearance between the driven and the chassis or else it’ll rub so the only thing I can think of would be to throw a spacer on it

Attachments

• 31A1813E-9262-4726-90A4-10C45C6779B4.jpeg
    31A1813E-9262-4726-90A4-10C45C6779B4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • 53112D0F-A517-4B1B-A37E-16FEB2EF5C55.jpeg
    53112D0F-A517-4B1B-A37E-16FEB2EF5C55.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • AAA54ED7-2685-4B9B-87D4-F7074C34A95F.jpeg
    AAA54ED7-2685-4B9B-87D4-F7074C34A95F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Those pulleys don't look lined up, I think you need to move the engine over to the left.
Well its asymmetric 30 series, I also don’t have the jackshaft housing secured into the mount this was just to ask about the space in between the driven and the housing since the pulley has to be just a hair off the chassis for it to not rub. I could be wrong though but I thought that’s what the asymmetric was supposed to look like??

panchothedog

Reaction score
The inside sheaves ( the flat ones ) need to be lined up almost perfectly. Otherwise you will do nothing but burn up belts. As far as using spacers are concerned they will work fine. The driven clutch doesn't know weather you have a 1/16" washer or a 2" bushing holding it on. But I can't stress how important alignment of the two clutches is.

Reaction score
The inside sheaves ( the flat ones ) need to be lined up almost perfectly. Otherwise you will do nothing but burn up belts. As far as using spacers are concerned they will work fine. The driven clutch doesn't know weather you have a 1/16" washer or a 2" bushing holding it on. But I can't stress how important alignment of the two clutches is.
So then will it be easier just to slide the pulley to the left on the jackshaft? You say sheaves do you mean like the center part of the pulley or the flat plates?

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
center part of the pulley or the flat plates?
Pulleys are also referred to instead as sheaves by some folks, instead of as pulleys, but forget about that. Technically a sheave is one of the 2 outside plates of a pulley, or even all 3 or 4 of the plates on a wide 2-belt or 3-belt industrial pulley are all called sheaves.
The asymmetric pulleys (driver clutch and driven) of a 30 series TC are referred to as having 2 sheaves each, the inside 2.5-degree sheave (most just call it the "flat" side), and the outside 18-degree sheave. It's the "flat" sides that have to be perfectly aligned, and they don't move at all. The other (outside) sides move back and forth, can't be used as an alignment side.

Reaction score
Pulleys are also referred to instead as sheaves by some folks, instead of as pulleys, but forget about that. Technically a sheave is one of the 2 outside plates of a pulley, or even all 3 or 4 of the plates on a wide 2-belt or 3-belt industrial pulley are all called sheaves.
The asymmetric pulleys (driver clutch and driven) of a 30 series TC are referred to as having 2 sheaves each, the inside 2.5-degree sheave (most just call it the "flat" side), and the outside 18-degree sheave. It's the "flat" sides that have to be perfectly aligned, and they don't move at all. The other (outside) sides move back and forth, can't be used as an alignment side.
So I can’t just move the pulley? I’ll wait until I get the housing mounted on it and then I’ll come back lol I’m glad y’all brought this to my attention otherwise I would have just assumed that was correct

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
space in between the pulley and the shaft housing,
Not fair confusing me, it's too easy, like shooting fish in a barrel. Is your "shaft housing" the tube that the jackshaft is inserted into, with 2 bearings inside it? Where the picture looks like the jackshaft is just flopping around inside of the tube, like there's no bearings inside the tube?
If that gap between the jackshaft bearings mount (the tube) and the driven pulley is what you mean, yes you should put a spacer there, just not a tight fit so it doesn't bind up at all.
Now please, oh please, tell me why there's a piece of threaded rod stuffed into that bearings mount (tube) with the driven pulley mounted. Please tell me how you got a pair of bearings with smooth axle openings to fit properly on threaded rod instead of a smooth jackshaft.
Please tell me how good the fit is where the driven's smooth axle opening is mounted on that threaded rod.
Please check out this link to a proper jackshaft setup..............Clutch Mount with Jackshaft | 03191 | BMI Karts And Parts
Please check out the following individual pieces (by the way, this is all for 5/8" driven pulley, 3/4" is also available) ...................
Jackshaft 12'' x 5/8'' W/3/16'' Keyway | RT_480 | BMI Karts And Parts
Clutch Mount without Jackshaft | K03191A | BMI Karts And Parts
Mini Bike Jackshafts and Sprockets | Mini Bike Parts - OMB Warehouse

Reaction score
Not fair confusing me, it's too easy, like shooting fish in a barrel. Is your "shaft housing" the tube that the jackshaft is inserted into, with 2 bearings inside it? Where the picture looks like the jackshaft is just flopping around inside of the tube, like there's no bearings inside the tube?
If that gap between the jackshaft bearings mount (the tube) and the driven pulley is what you mean, yes you should put a spacer there, just not a tight fit so it doesn't bind up at all.
Now please, oh please, tell me why there's a piece of threaded rod stuffed into that bearings mount (tube) with the driven pulley mounted. Please tell me how you got a pair of bearings with smooth axle openings to fit properly on threaded rod instead of a smooth jackshaft.
Please tell me how good the fit is where the driven's smooth axle opening is mounted on that threaded rod.
Please check out this link to a proper jackshaft setup..............Clutch Mount with Jackshaft | 03191 | BMI Karts And Parts
Please check out the following individual pieces (by the way, this is all for 5/8" driven pulley, 3/4" is also available) ...................
Yes the tube is what I’m talking about, 3/4” bearings on both sides, the jackshaft is only threaded 4-1/2” on both sides and smooth for the rest of it. It’s turning just fine, better even than the original one, the reason for that is because the old shaft had a 20 series pulley on it and I needed a 30 series to match the driver. But of course I take the old shaft to machine shop to remove 20 series, get it nice and even, 30 series is wider than 20 so naturally I had to get a longer shaft and fast forward a month and this is where I’m at, gotta get bolts and spacers to secure housing and finish lining it up. But why do you think this wouldn’t work?

Reaction score
never mind I know why now, it’s because my luck landed me one of the weirdest set up karts I’ve seen, my chain sprocket is on the right side of the kart, and the motor obviously has the left side drive so this set up is, driver to driven, then jackshaft to small sprocket which connects to the larger sprocket. It’s really aggravating because I wanted to set up a TC kit on it but with this set up I can’t and I would just flip the axle around but thanks to whoever owned it previously the engine mount is welded just low enough to where if I flipped the axle the chain sprocket wouldn’t fit anywhere. You can see on that 3rd picture where the little light is sitting on that’s preventing it being flipped