Ayyyyyyy How's it going folks!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsum

Reaction score
Another New Yorker here. I found DIYgokarts while browsing online in preparation for a build I planned on doing over the winter.
I originally planned on modifying a kart to fit a 600cc motorcycle motor but after some careful reading I realized it was far more advanced of a build then i was ready for. Especially on the budget I had planned for.
So I'm thinking rather than diving into a project I might not ever finish due to complexity, I'd get my feet wet by building a Predator motor instead.
I have a lot to learn so I hope to lean on you guys a little bit in order to achieve the results I'd like.
My knowledge turning wrenches is not limited. I've owned several dirtbikes over the years. Currently riding a 98 Kx125 to soothe my need for speed. :auto:
I'm not well versed in small motors because its been some time since I've actually worked on them. As I get older I turned my attention towards cars instead. Im a certified Auto Mechanic (I paid some paper printing school to give me a cert.):wai:
:backtotopic:
I'm hoping to learn a lot from my first build this winter. I figured by "getting my feet wet" I'd get more of an idea of what I'll need to complete my 600cc build in the near future. From the several posts I've read in other parts of the forum, many have tried and only a few have actually succeeded. Id prefer not to be one of the failures.
so guys/gals, :cheers2: .

Attachments

• _IMG_20141005_155655.jpg
    _IMG_20141005_155655.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 21

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
O don't think you're getting off that easy! Want to see more pics of that kart! Looks pretty cool.... :thumbsup:
:welcome2: You definitely found the place to be! (i hope it's the place to be! I'm here like 16+ hours a day...... :eek:)

adsum

Reaction score
O don't think you're getting off that easy! Want to see more pics of that kart! Looks pretty cool.... :thumbsup:
:welcome2: You definitely found the place to be! (i hope it's the place to be! I'm here like 16+ hours a day...... :eek:)

:iagree: This looks like it's going to be my new home.
I'm looking forward to this build! I spent 12 hours reorganizing my garage a few months back in preparation for it.
I'm torn between settling for less and starting a smaller build or just going all in on the 600cc Kart. I'm still waiting to pick up this kart so I don't have all of the specifications on it just yet. I should have it by Saturday if everything goes as planned. I'm confident by the looks of the picture that I could pull it off on this frame with some minor reinforcements but that might just be me getting cocky. I guess Saturday will be the day to find out.

A little background on the Kart
It's current set up is a 6hp Tecumseh motor. It's set on a custom built frame (supposedly). Not too sure of what size tube steel it was fabricated out of. I'll know more on Saturday.
Excuse my ignorance but it looks to me to have a wider rear end then most of the karts of it's size, so that's what keeps my hopeful about turning this back into a 600cc kart build.
But I guess :useless:

Reaction score

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I would also firts just pop a predator on there. Or....you can just ride the kart as it is for a while and do nothing (or is there something wrong with the Tecumseh on the kart). I see it has a TC and a straight pipe

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
Start with the 6.5hp. If you want to do the 600cc one day, pull the 6.5 and do that. Stick to low budget easy for now.
I don't why you're acting like this kart is a 1 and done for motors.:lolgoku:!!! You can always change it!!!! Go look at half breeders manco 2 seater build... It's on i think it's 4 setup...
First build thread:
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22667
Second build thread:
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27096
Hoping i could be your voice of reason :lolgoku:!!!

Well... it's actually at its 6th stage of fabrication, and let me tell you... Ive learned ALOT since stage #1!!!

I myself knew lil~>nadda bout go karts and didnt actually 'know' what I wanted out of a go kart to drive(driving style/environment)... and actually still dont know 100%, but... I 'did' find out that a light frame, mixed in w/ low CoG and ridged design... throw a 10-12hp engine on it w/ no governor and a TC... makes to be a very fun kart(for me) on the street/flat yard. The bi-polar side of me likes the off road possibilities... hence the linked kart, which will only be a 250cc 5 speed (w/ reverse... gonna need it!)... so your expectations of a 600cc build, IMO, IS a definitely laborious endeavor/project... and I personally recommend starting off small and like Young One mentioned...

You can always change it!!!!

That kart you have, as is, w/ a modded, HF212(Harbor Freight clone engine) or a GX200(Honda engine... the one the clones were designed from) and the TC geared to 3.5:1, w/ proper Ackermann steering... OMG youll be up there w/ me pushin +/-50mph

PLZ post more pics/vid of that kart!!! That thing has great potential IMO!

adsum

Reaction score
Start with the 6.5hp. If you want to do the 600cc one day, pull the 6.5 and do that. Stick to low budget easy for now.
I don't why you're acting like this kart is a 1 and done for motors.:lolgoku:!!! You can always change it!!!! Go look at half breeders manco 2 seater build... It's on i think it's 4 setup...
First build thread:
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22667
Second build thread:
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27096
Hoping i could be your voice of reason :lolgoku:!!!
I guess the reason that Im flip flopping between the 600cc motor and just toying around with a smaller motor is because I like to set a goal and achieve it. I originally planned for a 600cc when I set out on this adventure so I almost feel as if Im settling for less by not completing it. On the other side of the coin, I want to have this thing finished in a reasonable amount of time. Like every other hobby, money is an issue. So I guess for this moment, I'll keep on researching until the Kart is in my possession. Then once I've driven it, I'll make my decision. Its a "dice in a hat" kind of decision at this point.

I would also firts just pop a predator on there. Or....you can just ride the kart as it is for a while and do nothing (or is there something wrong with the Tecumseh on the kart). I see it has a TC and a straight pipe
Thats a viable option at this point. I'd probably want to go with something a little bigger than the 220cc. I have a lot to learn when it comes to modifying karts so maybe just toying around with the gear ratios on the 220cc will give me the results I'm looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.