Axle ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktm450exc

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I'm building my son a yard kart that will have a 1" live axle and I need to have some advice on which axle ends to go with? They have the 1" end then the threaded and tapered long and short. Which one is generally used?? Does one offer more options for rims or hubs??
thanks
Check the link it will show the options
http://www.gokartnminibikeparts.com/solid_steel_axles.htm
 

anderkart

Moderator
Messages
6,429
Reaction score
385
Location
Surprise Arizona USA
The non-threaded axle on your links left side is more the type race karts typically use. It requires separate rear wheel hubs that clamp around the axle and also uses a 1/4" key/keyways in the axle/hub to lock everything down. (although modern race karts typically usualy use 1-1/4" or even larger axle diamitor sizes.

The other 2 (threaded end) axles are just 2 diferent styles more typically used on fun or yard type karts. (they also use a 1/4" key/keyways, but lock the rim directly to the axle with a nut) This type of axle setup usualy cost less to buy everything than a race-kart type axle setup.

You can readily buy rims to fit directly on either of the threaded axles your link is selling, or 1" ID. race type wheel-hubs to adapt race-kart type rims to the non-threaded axle your link is selling.

It would end up costing more to buy everything, but If I was building a whole live axle go kart from scratch, I'd try to use a 1-1/4" diamiter race type (hollow) axle, and be using sprocket/wheel Hubs and Cassette type bearing componets like some of the ones you'll find for sale in these 2 links and pictured below on my kart:
http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/?cart=2007861&cat=259&
http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/?cart=2007861&cat=260
 

Attachments

  • DSCN7483.jpg
    DSCN7483.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN7484.jpg
    DSCN7484.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 14

ktm450exc

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Thank you. The exact information I needed.. I think I'll go with the threaded/tapered/less exspensive set up, then if he really gets into it and I feel the need I can always upgrade..
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top