Axle Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave1701

Good for 100,000 Miles
Messages
1,069
Reaction score
1
Location
MICHIGAN
I think I will get a 1" Axle, but I am concerned about bending it. I pound the crap out of my kart running over pretty big hard bumps and stuff with no suspension. Do I need more than 2 pillow blocks? How often do those axles bend? Should I get one of those labeled "flex-proof" and such? Will the tubing my pillow blocks will be welded to hold up?
 

gokart14

New member
Messages
1,115
Reaction score
1
Location
Nebraska
you shouldent need more than two but what is the distance beteween the two bearings???? yous should be okay
 

fowler

New member
Messages
5,463
Reaction score
18
Location
Bullsbrook West Aus
id say put one at each end and one close to the middle nere the sprocket just to keep peice of mind

from memory your kart needed widening the back end as the bearings need to be as close as possible
 

karl

Well-known member
Messages
2,449
Reaction score
718
Location
North east Ohio
I have a manco dingo with a 1in solid axle with no suspension and 2 bearings and it broke the frame before bending the axle. It has wide 18in tires. And I abuse my stuff. 40mph through my woods
 

Gillgamesh64

New member
Messages
200
Reaction score
0
Location
Griffith NSW Austraila
I think racing carts use differant axles for differant tracks And axle that flexes is used to aid in cornering on a windy track and a stiff axle is used for fast strait track,s, I made my axle from a peice of 25mm solid steel and it cost $25 per meter u just have to put your own keyway in it....
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
1" will be fine- but when you're putting things together, get the pillow blocks right close to the wheels! The farther from the wheels, the more leverage impacts will have on the axle, inviting bends. Do some frame work if you have to, just keep 'em close...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top