Axle alloy

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHen

Reaction score
Are axles a special alloy or are they just some mild, low carbon steel?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Some are hardened steel, and I believe there are higher-dollar alloy units out there. Princess Auto's keyed shafting (where a lot of us Canadians buy our stuff) is C1018.

mrmagoolew

Reaction score
You can just buy drill rod in the size diameter you need. It's already ground to size, and you can have it threaded at a machine shop. I'm not sure, but I'd say drill rod is at least 4140 grade steel, and good enough. It's what I use anyway. If you can get 4140, that'll do too. 6150 grade will also work, but probably overkill. Lew

JHen

Reaction score
You can just buy drill rod in the size diameter you need. It's already ground to size, and you can have it threaded at a machine shop. I'm not sure, but I'd say drill rod is at least 4140 grade steel, and good enough. It's what I use anyway. If you can get 4140, that'll do too. 6150 grade will also work, but probably overkill. Lew

Drill rod is W1 or O1, which is hovering just over 1% carbon plus some alloying elements like vanadium and manganese. 4140 is 40% carbon, with good amounts of chromium and molybdenum (hence 4130 being called 'chromoly') and some manganese and silicon.

fowler

Reaction score
this would depend on the progect if it is a race kart or something like modelengineers sindwinder it would need to be some fancy high quaulity steel alloy for stenght over weight but as a back yard kart that is just there to bomb around in some bush somewhere then any mild steel rod will do

Status
Not open for further replies.