Awesome Chopper builder (pics!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Got some email from Chuck, a custom mini chopper builder, and he sent along some pics. I've invited him to join the discussion, if anyone has some questions -- and I'll bet we can think up quite a few!

seney2

Reaction score

seney2

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments, yes those are golf cart tires, I sometimes use snowmobile trailer tires.....

I usually go to my local golf cart store and ask to buy used tires.... they have piles of them and most have more than 1/2 life left....

Reaction score
that's a great idea -- those things aren't cheap. For your rear axles on the choppers, do you use the pillow block bearing/live axle set up? And what have you found to be "too long" for a run of chain. IE, at what point do you think you need to go with a jackshaft. (or do you always use some kind of multispeed setup?)

seney2

Reaction score
I have used both.... I think they both work well, but I happen to use the live axle more often. The live axle comes in a nice kit with brakes, hub, sprocket, bearings and hangers.

As far as chain length, I usually add a spring loaded chain tensioner. With either a idler sprocket or a roller skate wheel which holds it in place pretty good....

jrjulien1

Reaction score
looks awesome but for a long run over {4ft on my go kart} would i have to use a tensoiner or would i be ok without one also about how much do u pay for the golf kart tires i need some for my next project and a golf course is near my house

thanks

seney2

Reaction score
I would use a tensioner on any length, while you're riding the chain is always snug....

I pay anywhere from $15 to $25 per tire and rim.... on occasion they will give me 2 for that price...

jrjulien1

Reaction score
thats cheap i hope that i can get them for that much and one more thing how big of a diameter do those tires have or if it varies just tell me what youve seen

thanks

seney2

Reaction score
I've seen all different sizes.... rim size 8",9",10" and 12"...
overall sizes 18" up to 25"

Status
Not open for further replies.