auto darkening welding helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghanem

Reaction score
Hey guys i was welding yesterday and when i woke up this morning my eyes were red and i felt like they are filled with sand and this is because i am using a cheap normal welding helmet in conclusion i want to buy an auto darkening one so what are the best helmets to buy

Thanks

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Using a standard, fixed shade welding helmet should NOT cause these symptoms. Something else is wrong. Are you performing tack-welds unprotected? Is there a crack or gap in your mask, letting the light through?

fowler

Reaction score
Thats not fault of the helment (much)

What shade lens are u useing

That would be the issue
Also blind tacking is a big no no
(closing your eyes to quick tack)

Otherwise if u guys get CIG welders over there
They make good cheap helments
Most of the welders Iv met use them as they are reliable

Ghanem

Reaction score
Thats not fault of the helment (much)

What shade lens are u useing

That would be the issue
Also blind tacking is a big no no
(closing your eyes to quick tack)

Otherwise if u guys get CIG welders over there
They make good cheap helments
Most of the welders Iv met use them as they are reliable

i have like this one

cumminsbayou4x4

Reaction score
iv got one from harbor freaght it was like 20 dollors and works great use it every time i weld i have got used to it so when i try to weld with a not ato darking i cant weld very good

redsox985

Reaction score
You can easily tack without a helmet. Sure, it's not advisable, but just to put down a tiny tack weld, it's do-able. I'm guilty.

Br@ndoM@n

Dude with a gokart, a MIG
Reaction score
New Mexico (Not Dirty Poor Mexico, NO HABLA ESPANO
Fixed shade helmet actually protects ur eyes better than Auto darkening helmet. I have both. I have a Hobart fixedshade helmet thats a #12 i think. I dont use it when I weld cause I cant see **** with it. I use it for bystanders and helpers.

My autodarkning helmet is a cheapo northerntool one that I payed $40 but it works like its suppossed to.

What amperage are u tack welding with? high aparage tack welds can be enough to burn ur eyes. U welding with stick? Stick welders are generally high amps.

When I worked on drill rig my tool pusher was welder together casing (pipe) and I wasnt even looking at the arc and burned my eyes. Pain like crazy, cant imagine what it would of been like if I was actually looking at the arc.

Ghanem

Reaction score
Fixed shade helmet actually protects ur eyes better than Auto darkening helmet. I have both. I have a Hobart fixedshade helmet thats a #12 i think. I dont use it when I weld cause I cant see **** with it. I use it for bystanders and helpers.

My autodarkning helmet is a cheapo northerntool one that I payed $40 but it works like its suppossed to.

What amperage are u tack welding with? high aparage tack welds can be enough to burn ur eyes. U welding with stick? Stick welders are generally high amps.

When I worked on drill rig my tool pusher was welder together casing (pipe) and I wasnt even looking at the arc and burned my eyes. Pain like crazy, cant imagine what it would of been like if I was actually looking at the arc.
ya i am using a stick welder and i am welding at 2.3 I think , the problem of the normal helmet that if you put it on your eyes you cannot see any thing and when you get your stick near to the steel to see where you want to weld it suddenly make an arc

thanks for the advice everyone

ML-TOYS

Reaction score
i have the harbor freight one. i love it
has sensitivity setting fast/slow something and a know on the side that somehow adjusts how dark the lens gets.
up a little too high and i cant see a thing, set just right i have a perfect view without any flash burn in my eyes.

you can easily get flash burn even if you just tack with eyes closed and 1 or 2 flashes with your eyes open can result in what i felt as needles coming out of my eyes for hours straight

little billy

Reaction score
Ive had flash burn now 5-6 times, DONT tack weld without a shield. Last time I got it, I was standing 10 feet away from someone plasma cutting, and I wasnt directly watching him either. be careful

fourtogo

Reaction score
I believe the Ark is some thing like ten time brighter than the sun. Also you can get tan on eyelids from ark flash. If you are doing Alum you can get a nasty pink sun tan on most any part of your skin that Is right in front of the Ark . Sitting in a dark room with sun glasses on is not a lot of fun.

OzFab

Reaction score
I must admit, I'm also guilty of tacking without a helmet on occasion, only because my current helmet sux. I did have a great auto helmet but the battery died from lack of use. I've only ever had full on flash once (that was enough) but I've often had sunburned eyelids (OOOOOUUUCH!)

In saying that, I do not recommend welding or even quick tacking without a helmet

fourtogo

Reaction score
Here's a tip for the non auto dark user's . Rest Tig cup on what you are welding, Tungsten should very close to object that Is being welded to strike arc .

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Ive had flash burn now 5-6 times, DONT tack weld without a shield. Last time I got it, I was standing 10 feet away from someone plasma cutting, and I wasnt directly watching him either. be careful

5-6 times?? Arc burn once isn't going to damage your eyes in the long run, but 5-6 times and you may have degraded your vision. Most people I know (me included) have it happen once and then never let that happen again.

Here's a tip for the non auto dark user's . Rest Tig cup on what you are welding, Tungsten should very close to object that Is being welded to strike arc .

Most of the people here can't afford a GTAW machine. The majority are using either SMAW, GMAW, or FCAW.

Status
Not open for further replies.