• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Australia's last carmaker calls it quits

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
Indeed. Within three years, Australia will cease to have an automotive manufacturing industry. It's not just the car makers that will go, as a result, all the smaller companies that make parts for the industry will suddenly have no customers & will be forced to close...

Then watch our unemployment rate soar & our dollar drop...

fourtogo

Reaction score
I Want cheaper cars, you got cheaper cars .Now Big Auto Industry companies and small companies go hand and hand with there plans and projections.

fowler

Reaction score
once the dollar crashes then it'll be awesome for us on the farm

And actually it'll be good for all businesses that export

It'll be a very interesting shift over the next few years
We have gone from the eastern states economical power house of the company

To in a few years wa will be be the only state that viable

And we still get F/A of the federal taxes

Once the dollar drops there wil be anogther boom over here
The dollar is too high and the big company are operating right on the edge of profit

But of course the dollar has to drop first

OzFab

Reaction score
That doesn't make it worth any more...

I saw another report on this subject last night (the previous night it got all of 15 seconds of air time whereas Shapelle Corby got about 15 minutes); 2500 workers will be out of work from Toyota alone; some of the parts manufacturers were smart, saw it coming & now have an export market...

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Here's the American system: We take all the people that have common sense, a reasonable degree of intelligence, and skill and have them do the production work. We give them little pay.....that way they try hard to do a good job and stay focused in the hopes that will get them more money. This is important- because mistakes in manufacturing can get people killed.

So we let the idiots without common sense run the businesses and the country. ....because the worst they can do is kill businesses or the economy. :lolgoku:

machinist@large

Reaction score
There's a reason why my current job has a union, and why I joined it.

There's a real reason why we refer to our COO as "North America's Highest Paid Shipping Clerk". It's because he's more concerned with what's going on in the shipping dept. than he is about the rest of the plant. He even insists on loading trucks himself.

For the record, all full time employee's on the shop floor are required to have a forklift license because of the job descriptions in the shop......

OzFab

Reaction score

They're not a manufacturer, only a retail outlet (which I've never heard of...) I don't think them closing will have much of a negative impact on our economy...

Meanwhile, Qantas, our national airline, is in deep doodoo. The airline is currently being run by a little Irishman who claims he "turned the company around"... but, it's in $250M debt :huh: That can't be a good thing...

His management strategy: Last year, during a maintenance workers strike, he had the brilliant idea of grounding the entire fleet for a week, until an agreement was reached & the workers went back to work. During this time, he asked for & was granted a 50% pay increase, taking his salary to $5MILLION A YEAR! (again, :huh: )

Status
Not open for further replies.