ATV gearbox for Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
I've seen this topic kicked around a couple of times, but no real definite answer. I'd love to work in a high/low/reverse ATV gearbox into my mini-buggy. I have a 420cc clone motor and 40 series comet. But will modify to suit. Are there some proven parts out there or specific model of ATV gearbox to get? I've seen some posts around Polaris, but nothing that said someone has a working deal.

Thank you.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
A lot of gearboxes are part of the engine, however i believe some are just bolted on. My thoughts on this are that it would be worth it to shell out a little extra and just buy a whole bike/quad engine.

NJOHC

Reaction score
If someone could find one of them and make it work I'd buy it right away. Id need to see someone do it first though. I like being in control of the engine's revs and Id imagine we'd be putting more power to the ground also, since there would be no more belt slip.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
It would be a fairly simple thing to make if you had access to a Milling machine, and had some general knowledge of machining. You could just take the internals/clutch basket and make a new case for them that could easily mount up to a kart frame. The thing is the cost of having someone take the time and make one, would be far more than just buying a motorcycle engine.

newrider3

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you guys aren't thinking of the same gearbox as OP. You're talking about the 4-6 speed transmission from a manual motorcycle engine, he is thinking of the hi/low/reverse case out of a CVT quad. As long as you can find one with a shaft that will accept your driven clutch (or has a compatible unit already installed) you should be good to go.

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you guys aren't thinking of the same gearbox as OP. You're talking about the 4-6 speed transmission from a manual motorcycle engine, he is thinking of the hi/low/reverse case out of a CVT quad. As long as you can find one with a shaft that will accept your driven clutch (or has a compatible unit already installed) you should be good to go.

Oh right, silly me lol.

You Americans are lucky to have so many motorbikes, and for them to go cheap, in Australia, $1000 will get you an 1980s 250cc quad thats ridiculously worn out compete with cracked plastics, ripped seat and bald tyres. The only thing that goes cheap around here is Yamaha AG bikes even then a running AG100 in crap condition(and I mean CRAP) will fetch at least $400. Even clones are usually around $250, $180 is the cheapest you will get one for, thats usually over in the eastern states though, things are much more expensive here in Western Australia (for eg, chinese bikes are usually 50% more expensive over here in W.A than say N.S.W). Intretingly the aussie dollar is nearly equal to the U.S dollar yet we still pay 50-100% more for things than you guys do, someone must be making alot of money out of this......

Anyways, sorry for the rant.

Hayden

NJOHC

Reaction score
Sorry bout that to the OP. I read your question too fast lol

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
in Australia, $1000 will get you an 1980s 250cc quad thats ridiculously worn out compete with cracked plastics, ripped seat and bald tyres

Or a 2005+ postie bike with 20,000k's...
Or a 2007 Suzuki GS-500F with 9,500km's on it... which now owes me $350 and I still have the wheels, tyres, front brakes, and speedometer. I keep telling everyone in AU that written off motorbikes is seriously the best way to go but nobody believes me :(

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
Or a 2005+ postie bike with 20,000k's...
Or a 2007 Suzuki GS-500F with 9,500km's on it... which now owes me $350 and I still have the wheels, tyres, front brakes, and speedometer. I keep telling everyone in AU that written off motorbikes is seriously the best way to go but nobody believes me :(

I belive you :thumbsup: haha

I was meaning as a recreational toy lol. Yes, auctions are the best for getting parts bikes, you were certianly lucky with your GS-500F. I remember I once asked two wheel wreckers how much a 4 stroke 250 would cost, they showed me a horribly negleted looking (aliumnium oxide everywhere, apart from where the oil had leaked out) honda from the eary 80s, they wanted $700 for it!! That was thier cheapest one too! I just walked out. (yes I know, shoulda gona to an auction..)

And lets be honest, riding a CT110 isn't much of a thrill, *you go to full throttle, wander if theres something wrong with it as it seems to have no power what so ever, as everone else wheelies into the distance*.

You have to admit that thing are agonisingly cheaper in the US and really shouldnt be...

Hayden

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
Yes, all of those things are interesting. But, as for this project, I'd like to find someone who has succesfully fit an ATV gearbox either using a comet driven... or using the driven from the ATV (which would be compatable with the comet 40 drive). There's quite a bit of ATV gearboxes out there on Ebay, but would like to get a clue before diving in and just buying one. As for fitting it to the comet CVT, I don't have the equipment or know-how to mill down an input shaft to 3/4" keyed - but would that be something ridiculously expensive to have done at a machine shop???
Thank you

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
You have to admit that thing are agonisingly cheaper in the US and really shouldnt be...

I know, it sucks...

I don't have the equipment or know-how to mill down an input shaft to 3/4" keyed - but would that be something ridiculously expensive to have done at a machine shop???

I don't think it would be too expensive to have done if you had stripped down the engine and just handed them the crank, but it still wouldn't be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.