Attach tie rod to steering column

applegatetech

Reaction score
I need some help with a tie rod setup. There is a gap between the steering shaft and the current tie rods. Maybe tie rods with ball joints where it attaches to the spindle?
Thanks

PXL_20230205_000417073.jpgPXL_20230205_000417073~2.jpgPXL_20230205_000407546.jpgPXL_20230205_000330078.jpg

applegatetech

Reaction score
Some new bolts, washers and nylock nuts might get that back into reasonable condition. New rods and rod ends would be a big improvement.
I am definitely replacing the bolts, washers and nuts. There is a large gap between end of the steering column where it attaches to the tie rods.
The angle is different as well. Would ball joints on the spindle side of the tie rod allow me to adjust the angle?
PXL_20230205_000417073~3.jpg

Master Hack

Reaction score
Bend the tab on the column down to match better. Then get a new bolt and nut. Tighten the nut (red glob) against the bolt head. Then two new nuts and a washer where the blue globs are, but only tighten enough to remove free play. $1.95 fix.

Attachments

• 6D97A720-B6E9-412A-8C9B-E14ACB211CF8.jpeg
    6D97A720-B6E9-412A-8C9B-E14ACB211CF8.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 7

panchothedog

Reaction score
What Master Hack has advised you to do will be a very good improvement.
I'm no expert on steering, but I have NEVER seen tie rods that look like yours.
they couldn't be more Mickey mouse if old Walt had designed them himself.
if you felt like spending 20 bucks or so, Go Power Sports has a real good selection ( many different lengths ) of solid 3/8" steel threaded tie rods onto each end you attach a hiem joint. A hiem joint is what you are calling a ball joint. It bolts down solidly, but still allows for rotational movement.

applegatetech

Reaction score
What Master Hack has advised you to do will be a very good improvement.
I'm no expert on steering, but I have NEVER seen tie rods that look like yours.
they couldn't be more Mickey mouse if old Walt had designed them himself.
if you felt like spending 20 bucks or so, Go Power Sports has a real good selection ( many different lengths ) of solid 3/8" steel threaded tie rods onto each end you attach a hiem joint. A hiem joint is what you are calling a ball joint. It bolts down solidly, but still allows for rotational movement.
Lol. The Mickey Mouse tie rods are similar to the struts on a climbing dome from a playground.
I have ordered from Go Power Sports before.
I am also checking out bmikarts.com

Cartinfun

Reaction score
Umm. It looks to me like you should probably deal with straightening and reinforcing that axle BEFORE buying new parts. Maybe some gussets going from. The body of the kart to the axle to hold it in place after bending it back. It seems like bent front axles are usually what causes karts to be abandoned.

The one I am rebuilding I'm pretty sure died because they ruined the tie rods and then gave up on it. Then I bought another to fix up (it has less to do do) and one of the a arms is severely bent. Then they tried to weld it to reinforce and fix broken welds, with a still bent A-arm.

But I digress. Definitely Heim joints and tie rods to get rid of the slop in your steering. You can tighten them up on the steering shaft and they will still pivot.

Last edited:

applegatetech

Reaction score
Umm. It looks to me like you should probably deal with straightening and reinforcing that axle BEFORE buying new parts. Maybe some gussets going from. The body of the kart to the axle to hold it in place after bending it back. It seems like bent front axles are usually what causes karts to be abandoned.

The one I am rebuilding I'm pretty sure died because they ruined the tie rods and then gave up on it. Then I bought another to fix up (it has less to do do) and one of the a arms is severely bent. Then they tried to weld it to reinforce and fix broken welds, with a still bent A-arm.

But I digress. Definitely Heim joints and tie rods to get rid of the slop in your steering. You can tighten them up on the steering shaft and they will still pivot.
That sounds like a plan. I am going to try pounding the front axle with a rubber mallet next weekend.

panchothedog

Reaction score
It's going to take a LOT more than a rubber mallet to straighten out the axel.
Get it as hot as you can, then with something like a 18" crescent or pipe wrench grab the end and pull. You might need someone to hold the back of the kart to get enough leverage. I'd be worried about breaking up the front end by just beating on it.

applegatetech

Reaction score
It's going to take a LOT more than a rubber mallet to straighten out the axel.
Get it as hot as you can, then with something like a 18" crescent or pipe wrench grab the end and pull. You might need someone to hold the back of the kart to get enough leverage. I'd be worried about breaking up the front end by just beating on it.
Got it. I will try your method.