as if I didn't have enough projects already-rescued mower project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andreso86

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
like I dont have enough projects already-rescued mower project.

It all started 2 weeks ago, when I was about to go on my 1 week vacation. A couple of weeks before that we had decided to scrap an automatic 18.5hp murray rise on lawn mower. The mower had a working engine and ran good, but the hood was cracked to ****. That plus a burned starter selonoid, a few more details, and the fact that we already had two other good working lawn mowers made us decide to scrap it. At first I tried to swap the engine into our john deere mower which has a weaker engine, but I ended up burning the coil on it... so I decided to just put it aside and leave it as a spare engine. I dont remember what it was, but right before I went into vacation I got the idea of using the components from the soon to be scrap mower to make a fun machine, something on a budget, nice and low and hopefully capable of at least pulling 15mph. After I had a quick look at the mower and looking at the big beautiful diff/transmission we were about to throw away I was convinced. The next day I went to buy some 1" 14ga square piping, and on my very first day of vacation I went at it.
So, here's the plan:
Make a "go kart" using as many of the already existing components using all of my skills to make if as cheap as possible. It has to
1-be cheap
2-be sturdy and stiff
3-be low
4-do at least 15mph
5-easy to drive

So, my first day of this project, i went at it.
First things first, strip and see what I'll be able to use from the mower:




Measure, measure again, cut and tack. Im a happy camper! I had considered buying a cheap car to redesign it as a tubular running structure, so this is a good test. As much as I'd love to make the chassis out of tubes, I dont have a pipe bender nor cutters so square piping will have to do it for now.





mocked up 300zx seat


mocked up gas tank, battery tray and differential location



starting on the front suspension carrier. This was done working around the lawn mower suspension. I grabbed the mower axle and cut it in two to make the front susp independent



I didnt like adding this much weight but I couldnt figure out any other way to make it strong enough







deciding on engine placement



Engine sits so high, and I of course dont like it, but I couldnt find a way around it. I even cut the sleeve where the drive pulley is welded so it could mover further up to move the engine lower.



I was able to use the mower's steering system by tilting the whole system nearly 90 degrees and re-welding the steering arms at an angle and changing the location of the knuckle steering arms

 

Andreso86

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
I bought some cheap go kart shocks from ebay and started working on how to mount them and make them functional. This was my first design


I love the way they look and how easy it was to installed them, so Im sure you can imagined how bummed I was when Ifinally put it down and found out that they werent strong enough to work in this angle....
I already had them and wasnt planning on returning them, so I decided to work around this problem, which ended up on installing them nearly completely vertical, having to go completely trough the arms snd they still stick out out of the body line on top.... Not really my style, but they're now functional. I have a short video of it wich I'll post later.
I got a cheap racing seat from jegs, wich turned out to be a little higher than I expected, but that would work for now. I also got the wiring done, just need to cover it up and will strap it in place when Im done.






A look from the driver seat showing the battery tray location, gas tank and control panel I made with all the switches


And that's pretty much where Im at right now.
Obviously you all can see that I'll have a solid rear axle, just like in the lawn mower. I wasnt planning on spending money on rear suspesion, not like I had many options with that axle anyway, except for the cut in half frame, which I never liked.
form the engine I'm planning on removing the governor and raising the rpm's a bit, straight exhaust comming out the back, maybe a motorcycle muffler, intake coming out either the top or side of the seat with nothing but a mesh screen. Do you guys think I stand a chance of doing anything near 15mph with that axle and engine?
Now, about that axle, Im planning on adding a pulley as a clutch and linking it together with the axle brake to work at the same time, and adding a separate knob to put the axle on drive all the way, neutral, or reverse all the way. Gas pedal will be similar to a car using a sleeved wire with a spring on the carburator. I'm plamning on using slightly taller tires in the back and if necessary a smaller pulley at the axle to make it go faster. Remember that I am building this around something I was gonna throw away, hence the budget limit.
Im open to criticism including negative.
I do realize that most of it is just tacked. Im waiting until I have everything planned out to finish welding and cutting sharp edges, that way I can paint only once.
 

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
2,995
Location
Atlanta, GA
I like this. A little crazy works for me. Some questions:
1) Was the gas tank originally above the engine (gravity fed fuel)?
2) Did the original mower ever move close to 15 mph?
3) Have you ever had SA Summer Ale?
 

Andreso86

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Thank you.
The gas tank sat around the same level as the engine and the carb sat higher than the gas tank outlet. The carburetor is vacuum operated, so I shouldnt have any problem moving gas upwards.
I never measured the speed on the lawn mower, but I'm guessing it didnt move anywhere close to 15mph, hence the reason for playing with the governor, pulleys and tires.
And about SA summer ale, Im guessing I have tried it since Im always trying all their different styles, but it couldnt have been as good as their Rebel IPA, their winter ale, or their original boston lager. I just can't have enough of those... except when I get wasted, then I have had enough of them, for that one session...
 

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Messages
5,992
Reaction score
2,995
Location
Atlanta, GA
I think that you are on the right track in attempting to get more power out of the engine, because you will need it. The setup you have built is very nice, but I suspect also pretty heavy. Also, to get more real speed requires playing with the gear ratios. More power will be needed to help you overcome the increased weight, and the taller gearing. How much more power? Don't know.

Summer Ale is one of my all time favorites.
 

Andreso86

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Any suggestions on how to lose weight? Like i said, i didnt like adding all that extra weight, but i couldnt figure out any other way sticking to the design i already had in mind. Perhaps i should have gone with a lighter gauge, like 16ga, but it's too late for that. One thing's for sure, this thing's solid haha
 

Kokamo

Azzkicker extraordinaire
Messages
33
Reaction score
1
Location
Liberty Hill, Tx
I'd recommend a different axle. That hydro gear will only go as fast as the original mower went...I'm guessing about 5 or 6mph. It already has a small pulley on it and a smaller one will only raise pressures inside the unit and cause it to destroy itself. I'd recommend a strait axle setup and a Peerless 600 transmission setup with a smaller input pulley than the stock one that's about 12"....something like around 4 to 5" pulley and a crank pulley of about 3 to 4". Should get plenty of MPH and still have a low enough 1st gear ratio to putt around. You can use either a belt style centrifugal clutch or have a clutch pedal that releases a spring engaged idler pulley to engage the belt.....would work almost like a clutch in a car. Remember, the Peerless 600 trans cannot be shifted into another gear while still moving.

Good luck with the project!

~Joe
 

Andreso86

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
^well that's a bummer, because like I said, Im working around what I already had. Im not worried about destroying the axle, it was gonna be scrapped anyway, but I am worry about going to slow. I will have to try it out with the bigger crank pulley-which I've already swapped-and the higher rpm to see how fast it can go, lets at least hope it can do 10mph this time... What I want for now is to finish it up with this setup so I can disassemble, finish welding and paint it before rust becomes an issue. If it runs good and the chassis proves worthy, I may consider other options to make it go faster. I should also mention that the only brake I'll be using for now will be the factory lawn mower brake, which as you all know is really weak, so maybe low speeds are not such a bad idea haha. So, lets just say that I wanna get it running as a prototype. Something more serious may be consider in the near future. I have had a couple of friends recommend motorcycle powertrains haha. But if it proves worthy I think my first move will be to switch to a manual mower axle and custom brakes in the back.
I got a little work done yesterday. I decided to go with a cable setup for my clutch pulley.

Yes, That if a mustang clutch cable. Pulley assembly is tacked in place for now. It will eventually be bolted on and removable.

I also built a dual pedal assembly.


I meant to build a kart, not a tank.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top