Arachnid Rear Shocks - I think the mounts should line up ...

chaznaster

Reaction score
Hi All.

My son and I are working on an Arachnid build. We are getting to finishing the swing arm and we noticed that the shock mounts on the back of the body sit about 2" in from those on the swing arm. (see pic below) We rechecked measurements and everything seems to reflect the plans.

That seems so wrong. I expect this will snap off the shock eyelets after a few good bounces if we could even get the bolt through in the first place, which I do not think we can.

This is the most complicated build we have ever done, so it could be a screw up on our part. If we were more seasoned, we probably would have checked that they line up before getting to this point but here we are ...

Has anyone here built an Arachnid and run into this and perhaps have a solution? Maybe Denny?

Thanks very much.

IMG_4272.jpeg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Yea, you’re going to need to move those out some more. They do need to be in line. But by doing that you will need to triangulate them also so they don’t flex and crack. Hope I helped.

panchothedog

Reaction score
Agree completely with Denny. I have 4 karts, all factory built frames, but all of the shocks line up straight. BTW, welding and workmanship looks beautiful.
Share some more pictures and information on your build. Power, tires, wheels,
ect.

chaznaster

Reaction score
Thanks Denny and Pancho, I appreciate the info! And the comment (Pancho) about the build. We are truly learning as we go.

Denny - you mention triangulate - does that mean that the mounts need to be in exactly the same plane? That would make sense as it would be the minimal sideways stress on the shocks.

Regarding the build - we are moving very slowly so some of this is still very much in progress (or not started) ...
Arachnid frame, stretched 12" to accommodate son #1 at 6'3".
Predator 420 still on the bench. Starting with stock/ out of the box.
40 series TC still in a box.
10/60 gearing coming off the TC.
1" live axle
Disc brake
We are planning on 8/7-4x4 wheels with 19x9.5-8 tires. Something chunky for dirt trails and some hill climbing. Have not pulled the trigger on that bit yet.

The time spent with my kids on this has been nothing short of excellent ...

Some pics:
IMG_4282.jpeg
IMG_4281.jpegIMG_4280.jpegIMG_4279.jpeg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Offset shocks aren’t real. Yes, the mounts must be straight from each other. And by triangulate I mean the strongest geometric shape in the world is the triangle. If you look at it all the points support the other points. Do the same with the bracket in all directions.

chaznaster

Reaction score
Triangulate - got it!

I am thinking about extending the length of 1 1/4 tubing where the current upper mount is with a piece of 1" on the inside for strength, followed by new mounts further out. Would that be strong enough? Perhaps a gusset or two for good measure?

Or maybe it would be better to just cut those bits off and replace with longer ones.

chaznaster

Reaction score
You’ve done a nice job here. Don’t “hack” it up by adding stuff to the existing mounts.
(thats the kinda s**t l do) Cut ‘em off and make new ones.
lt’ll look much nicer and it won’t look like a mistake.
Yeah - you're right. We'll cut and replace. The plan is to get to it this weekend. I'll report back with progress ...