Anyone recognize this frame?

vintage_mpg

Reaction score
So we recently came across another project cart....but we need your help!

What is this thing? Anybody recognize it?

Look how low to the ground it sits; the belly is dragging! Could we swap to some 6" wheels up front and buy us some additional ground clearance? This thing is in the weeds.....

Attachments

• B5EF5262-6382-49F8-A31F-83B6014C88F8.jpeg
    B5EF5262-6382-49F8-A31F-83B6014C88F8.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 39

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Think I saw a pile of scrap metal at the salvage yard just like that. The wonky ends of some of the pipe, and the straight axles mounted above the frame mark it as homemade, and a poor design. Your best fix is to relocate the axles down low, and gusset everything.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
To me, it looks like the frame for one of those "low cost" karts that had a plastic or fiberglass body from back in the 80's
Like a corvette or the Blue Thunder car or Richard Petty's Charger

Yes, larger wheels should give you more ground clearance.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
It's clear that the side rails and steering hoop look like factory stuff. Unfortunately, regardless of origin, the frame's been hacked to death.
The cut-off pipe ends at both pedals, the V-notch in the right rear pipe end of seat frame minus a real weld, etc. are hard to ignore. Certainly makes for a good starting canvas though, to have whatever you want to make it. In 1-wheel drive that is.
Larger tires will give you clearance, but will make you use a larger sprocket in that clearance to accommodate the extra load.
Still think cutting off spindles at the frame welds and flipping everything to the underside is the way to go. Relocate pitman arm accordingly, do away with single steering rod w/crossover rod and make 2 rods. That'll get the front where you need it.
If you need more rear clearance after that I'll be surprised.

vintage_mpg

Reaction score
Right on!

I think if I just raise the front with six inch wheels she'll clear a full 2", which will be a start.

Now if we can just get that Honda engine to fire up..

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I think maybe that is an early (bird) frame or one of the other karts that had a fiberglass body. It looks pretty stock.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Just a note on 6" rims.............Far as I know, split rims such as you appear to have on the front only come in 4", 5", and 6" sizes.
Even assuming those are only 4" rims, changing to 6" rims with tires the same as current ones would only raise the kart frame a single 1" higher. The 2" of difference in rims would be split into 1" below axle and 1" above axle, so only a 1" rise in kart frame up front while the rear end remains the same as now.
You say the belly's dragging and it's in the weeds. Hope that the 1" is enough to suit your needs. How much do you weigh?

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
That's a Bingo for Functional Artist. That's the bare bone frame of a low cost, low tech promotional go kart that came with a fiberglass body.

These were not intended as a serious fun kart that one could buy from the old Sears catalog (big as a phone book!), nor built for the rigors of residential use by kiddies and teens. These are primarily for generating business interest or advertising purposes and for occasional, low stress use as a parade or Shriner's car for example. It was meant for flat pavement.

I don't think it's been hacked at all. It was designed as crudely as the way you see it. A very casual steering setup with Z-bends to connect the spindles to the tie rods, simple pedal construction and low ground clearance. It might even have been made by this outfit: Promo Karts
You might contact them and ask.