Anyone know what make and maybe what year this is

Status
Not open for further replies.

tqm761

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
As the title says looking for some info on this. I got this back in the early 90s when I was a kid I am now looking into getting it running for when my son is old enough. I don't know very much about it. It looks to me like it was a kit one would buy and have to weld them self. The welds are pretty bad lol other then the bubble gum welds it is in pretty good shape for the age which I'm guessing 50yrs old.








 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,191
Reaction score
4,163
Nice. Someone posted pics of something similar to that recently. Let me get back to you on that...:D

I think it's something akin to a quarter midget racer. Again, nice find.
Do you just want the make and model and once those are satisfied, you'll never return or are you gonna be a returning, contributing, life-long member? :p


In any event..
to the forum, N00B! :D
 

jandj

Active member
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
28
Location
Williamsburg, Va
There is a Vintage Quarter Midget ground on Facebook, I'd ask there.
Search "Old Quarter Midgets."
Lots of knowledgeable people who have been around them for a long time.
 

Rail rider

Inmate # 3192016
Messages
792
Reaction score
6
Location
Planet earth ( the flat one)
Looking at the welds and construction . I think it was a home brew that somebody made to fit the body. But, I wouldn't kick it out of the garage for leaking oil on the floor. Nice little set up with a lot of potential.

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

What the heck is the lever ?
That's for the death grip you'll be applying when the welds start coming apart ...:cheers2: :popcorn: :stir:
 

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Messages
5,059
Reaction score
4,476
Location
Southern New Mexico
I like the body, but the frame looks like it as meant to be a wall hanger in a themed restaurant or something.

What's holding the front axle? I hope not the round rods. Eeekkkk.

And please post more pics of the lever linkage.
Handbrake?
Change the front axle angle(canter?)
 

ML-TOYS

New member
Messages
2,908
Reaction score
19
Location
long island, new york
Yup, if you look at the rear view it looks more homebuilt, also the non curvature of the bends such as if front of steering wheel around top.
 

tqm761

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
From what I can tell hand brakes are pretty common in quarter midgets that's what that lever is. With the exception of the bad welds the bends in all the tubing seem to be really nice and all the cuts are square. It's kind of odd the welds are so bad but the rest of it is made pretty good. I plan on sticking around here because I will be purchasing a predator 6.5 HP engine and adapting aluminum wheels withs slicks on it. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a very rare thing that I shouldn't cut up and altered but it doesn't seem like it is. Just a light retro mod is all I'm going for
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
93
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
Regarding the bad welds, In Respect to the rest of it looking to be made pretty good.
I would venture to guess this was an actual Racer. So Originally it was nicely built, But over years of racing and Crashes and damage repair Things we welded and rewelded and fixed and adjusted.
Also Keeping in mind this is probably from the Fifties or Sixties, back when not every weekend racer and shadetree mechanic had a nice Mig or Tig in the garage. These guys had nothing but a stick welder to use. So long as it was functional and The body fit and looked good from the bleachers... He was good to go!
 

tqm761

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Ok my next question is what do I need to adapt modern racing wheels and tires? The rear axle is live on the right side with 1" diameter and a 1/4" key the left side is 3/4" diameter with roller bearings and front is just a straight 3/4" diameter shaft with roller bearings

---------- Post added at 02:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

I like the body, but the frame looks like it as meant to be a wall hanger in a themed restaurant or something.

What's holding the front axle? I hope not the round rods. Eeekkkk.

And please post more pics of the lever linkage.
Handbrake?
Change the front axle angle(canter?)

The front axle is mounted in the center and it hinges up and down like a tractor axle does. The round bar on the sides kinda work like a torsion spring I believe
 

jandj

Active member
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
28
Location
Williamsburg, Va
In my opinion, you don't want modern tires and wheels unless they are the same size as what's on it now.
What you have isn't a go kart.
It's a vintage Quarter Midget, a very small race car that ran dirt and paved ovals.
Yours has dirt tires on it.
It's not going to do what a go kart does.
It will, however be a blast on a small dirt oval.
 

tqm761

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
In my opinion, you don't want modern tires and wheels unless they are the same size as what's on it now.
What you have isn't a go kart.
It's a vintage Quarter Midget, a very small race car that ran dirt and paved ovals.
Yours has dirt tires on it.
It's not going to do what a go kart does.
It will, however be a blast on a small dirt oval.

The more I look into it the more I agree with you.
 

jandj

Active member
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
28
Location
Williamsburg, Va
Again, check the old Quarter Midget group on FB.
Someone may be able to tell you exactly what it is.
It's a neat piece of history.

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Here are some in their prime.
https://youtu.be/1qPuSj7UBCE

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

 

Hellion

Murderator
Messages
9,191
Reaction score
4,163
More photos please. JandJ's vintage HOT ROD magazine cover is fomenting a lot of interest in what you have.

Why are only two wheels mounted? Do you have the whole set? The rear wheels in particular appear to be nice, cast aluminum of a style that was prominent in the 60s perhaps earlier or a bit later (shrugs). In any event, don't just start tossing parts in the garbage can...
 

tqm761

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Lol nothing will go in the garbage trust me I have both rears they are cast aluminum and they appear to be original in ok shape I just sand blasted them today the fronts are junk home made to fit I only have one . I will post more pictures shortly.
 

jandj

Active member
Messages
1,161
Reaction score
28
Location
Williamsburg, Va
Another good reason to contact the Vintage guys is so you can find a correct roll bar.
Just like the Sprint cars and Midgets of that era, if somehow your kid gets on his head (again like the Sprints and Midgets you can hook a rut and dump it), you don't want him wearing the car.
 

tqm761

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Another good reason to contact the Vintage guys is so you can find a correct roll bar.
Just like the Sprint cars and Midgets of that era, if somehow your kid gets on his head (again like the Sprints and Midgets you can hook a rut and dump it), you don't want him wearing the car.

Yeah I would like to add a roll bar for sure!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top