Status
Not open for further replies.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
The vbulletin search engine is... well not trivial to use;
but it has a huuuge benefit (to say google) :
it doesn't make assumptions!
if you're searching for a misspelled word, it'll find that and only that spelling.

But, if you're happy with google assuming and suggesting different things than the one's you're actually looking for..

use google!
(search "youtube.com/watch" and add "site:diygokarts.com" to your searchterms)
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=youtube.com/watch+site:diygokarts.com

and there you are.. all yt videos posted on diygk;
you can even click 'images' to get an idea of what's in the video.

Now just add what ever searchterm you're interested in and narrow it down to whatever you want.

'sid

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Poboy earns 3 days in the box. <Sigh>.

Kartorbust - Well, the locking of the threads has already been explained. If another forum doesn't do it, I think that's a design flaw. Digging up old threads, where the poster is gone, doesn't help. Just post a new thread.

As for the videos -- I'm still just not "getting it". Post something in the "photo log" forum. I could add "videos" to the forum name, but it doesn't change the way you would use it.

I could be being dense (hey, that happens!), but I'm not seeing the issue.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Poboy earns 3 days in the box. <Sigh>.

Kartorbust - Well, the locking of the threads has already been explained. If another forum doesn't do it, I think that's a design flaw. Digging up old threads, where the poster is gone, doesn't help. Just post a new thread.

As for the videos -- I'm still just not "getting it". Post something in the "photo log" forum. I could add "videos" to the forum name, but it doesn't change the way you would use it.

I could be being dense (hey, that happens!), but I'm not seeing the issue.
No I get why they are locked. Just not use to seeing it due to inactivity. I'll get use to it over time.

Sent from my Z818L using Tapatalk

1happydude

Reaction score
Yeah

So basically a sub forum just for vids where people can post threads with the video in?

Yes, I think it would be cool if a thread had the ability to embed youtube videos rather than links.

Here is an example from my post in garagejournal.com
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301309

I dont mind searching for videos, but it would be easier if there was a place to just see videos. Sometimes I just want to kill time and I dont have anything to look for.

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
I vote for a video section.
..let's wait 'til later to see if we need video sub-sections or not.

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Video sub-category for Project-Log section. there ya go.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I vote for a video section.
..let's wait 'til later to see if we need video sub-sections or not.

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Video sub-category for Project-Log section. there ya go.
Could just upload video vs posting pictures in the build thread. Or both.

Sent from my Z818L using Tapatalk

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I think it would be cool if a thread had the ability to embed youtube videos rather than links.

Here is an example from my post in garagejournal.com
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301309

I dont mind searching for videos, but it would be easier if there was a place to just see videos. Sometimes I just want to kill time and I dont have anything to look for.

Videos can be embedded. Look at chancers one in the post above me
Or are you talking about the video playing directly in the post?

karte_m0lim

Birds Aren't Real
Reaction score
Well in project section, there is sticky for finished projects and there user can post video and link to his thread but only few people did.

So whatever you open and name it, still if somebody is not willing to add his video in another thread but his own, you can do nothing..

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Reaction score
What's wrong with just adding a vid link to the current subject thread?

A) It's not hard
B) It's not hard

The forum is fine just the way it is minus the idiocy taking complete control at times (Such as the dick slapping that happened earlier) and a sole video section isn't even needed. Again... just add a vid link to the thread that way things are contained in ONE thread....

1happydude

Reaction score
It looks like most of you are against the idea, no big deal just thought I would ask. Thanks for everybody's input.

Last point, maybe folks can post the word VIDEO in the post title.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I
Last point, maybe folks can post the word VIDEO in the post title.

Not a bad idea

post title might work.. but I'm afraid happydude means the thread title;
and that is rather impossible, since a user cannot change the thread title!
And in a build log... well at first you likely don't have a video yet.

and the dog bites it's tail
(either the title announces a non present video, or the video is embedded and the title cannot be changed)

'sid

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's just about "Does a video exist in a thread" then NO, I don't really care to add that. If someone is posting a video, then by all means, add "VIDEO: Guy jumps over a garbage can with a mini bike" (and if you have that video, I want to see it!)

1happydude

Reaction score
Somebody has posted a video thread in general discussion that is taking off. I guess we can feed into that one. I glad to see that I'm not crazy and others want to see karting videos!

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Somebody has posted a video thread in general discussion that is taking off. I guess we can feed into that one. I glad to see that I'm not crazy and others want to see karting videos!

I think its a good idea. Its difficult to "talk" or "type" about performance, especially when some people have no previous experience. Its a lot easier to "show" how my buggy handles hills with two people, than to try to describe it. Video is worth much more than a pic here.:cheers2:

Status
Not open for further replies.