Another Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
I went to Harbor Break today. They wouldn't let me use the coupon code. There was a link someone posted in another thread a couple of days ago that showed the 212 on sale through today for 99. I found that link last night and it was showing 119. I didn't get it. Not because of the extra 20, just the principalities of the whole thang! I still have time, so I'm just going to keep looking, and hope to catch it on sale soon. Side note, it was REALLY tempting to buy one for me and start looking for a buggy!

20151220_111207.jpg

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
Ok, I have read the ratio for dummies. The Predator 212 is 8.8lb/ft @ 2500 rpm. If I do a 10th clutch sprocket on a cent. clutch. 60t or 70t axle sprocket with 15" tires? It has 13x5-6 on the back right now. I will be getting in it too, you know, to make sure it is safe for the boy! The 6:1 top speed calculates to 27mph. One of you guys mentioned adjusting the throttle stop. The 7.2:1 puts it at 22. Should I look at doing a converter?

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
My kart has a 12 tooth clutch and 72 tooth axle gear. 6:1 and 15" tires. Works perfectly for my skinny 150lb but and even better with my 14 yr old, She can do 360 donuts in hard pack dirt.

Some guys here say NO WAY 6:1 on 15 will destroy clutches... If you want to go with 18,20 or 22 inch tires I would go with a converter.

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
I am trying to control top speed, make it move with my 200lb of aesthetic perfection without causing mechanical issues. I notice a lot of wheels with no both pattern. Can I do away with the hubs all together and use something like this?

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Yes that is what I use on my karts front. I have live axles but I don't see why that would not work for your R Rear too.

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
The rim you posted up looks fine....but if you can post up a link for what you're thinking about first...some aren't worth using.

As far as??? You mean what wheel Im actually looking at? I think I am overthinking this lol. I have this bad habit of over doing things. I assume the bearings in these wheel hubs are replaceable? If so, Im just going to order them (I assume each hub takes 2??) and paint the wheels, get the motor, clutch, sprockets, chain, band brake, cable, and tires, and let it eat. I got side tracked looking at fiberglass bodies that led me into mini monster trucks.... I think this go kart just ruined my life! I am going to end up divorced under a pile of go kart parts

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
As far as??? You mean what wheel Im actually looking at? I think I am overthinking this lol. I have this bad habit of over doing things. I assume the bearings in these wheel hubs are replaceable? If so, Im just going to order them (I assume each hub takes 2??) and paint the wheels, get the motor, clutch, sprockets, chain, band brake, cable, and tires, and let it eat. I got side tracked looking at fiberglass bodies that led me into mini monster trucks.... I think this go kart just ruined my life! I am going to end up divorced under a pile of go kart parts

Yes...the exact wheels you are looking at. The bearings in the wheel posted are fine, on the other hand, replacing bearings in Harbor Freight dolly wheels is an excersize in futility.

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
Understood. I am going to look at the bearings in the old hubs. That is part of what got all of this started. Maybe I am just trying to do too much. I need to simplify this or it will end up sitting next to my torn apart truck in the garage

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Gotcha....I've seen replacement bearings as cheap as 10 for $10...I thought you were going to buy new rims.

Edit: Probably 1 5/8" x 5/8"...make sure they are high speed sealed bearings.

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
It was because the hubs don't spin as freely as I would like, and when I was looking at hubs, there weren't many with the wheel bolt pattern I have, and I noticed MOST of the wheels "appear" to have the hub "in" the wheel, so I was thinking to simplify everything, I would just get wheels. HOLY HEADACHE KARTMAN!

OzFab

Reaction score
Ok, I have read the ratio for dummies. The Predator 212 is 8.8lb/ft @ 2500 rpm. If I do a 10th clutch sprocket on a cent. clutch. 60t or 70t axle sprocket with 15" tires? It has 13x5-6 on the back right now. I will be getting in it too, you know, to make sure it is safe for the boy! The 6:1 top speed calculates to 27mph. The 7.2:1 puts it at 22. Should I look at doing a converter?

Go with the 72 & 15's & you should be fine...

One of you guys mentioned adjusting the throttle stop.

Obviously, whomever did doesn't know a lot; using the throttle stop limits RPM which, in turn, can damage the clutch if it's limited too far...

It was because the hubs don't spin as freely as I would like

Replacing the bearings should solve that issue...

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
I
CANT
MATCH
THIS
JUNK
UP!

Can't find a 10t 3/4 bore #35 clutch, so I figured I would got with #41 chain. Well, I can't find a 72t axle sprocket that fits my lug pattern with #41 chain. I am like SO CLOSE to taking this junk to the scrap yard its not even funny.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

I may have already asked this, but if I decided to go with a torque converter, being the shaft length on the predator is shorter (I dont know how much, one of you guys said it) than the B&S, will I have to move the engine mounting plate to make it work?

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I
CANT
MATCH
THIS
JUNK
UP!
Can't find a 10t 3/4 bore #35 clutch, so I figured I would got with #41 chain. Well, I can't find a 72t axle sprocket that fits my lug pattern with #41 chain. I am like SO CLOSE to taking this junk to the scrap yard its not even funny.

Not the scrap yard.! :lolgoku:
No You will not match this up.:mad2: wait...
Ok so #35 chain means the teeth are 3/8 apart. #41 are 1/2".

So 35 10 tooth would not make it around a 3/4 shaft. Anyway here is what you do.:idea2:
You are looking for a 6:1 gear ratio. meaning axle teeth/clutch teeth So...
#35 12 tooth clutch and 72 tooth axle 72/12=6 or
#42 10 tooth clutch and 60 tooth axle 60/10=6
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
You are looking for a 6:1 gear ratio. meaning axle teeth/clutch teeth So...
#35 12 tooth clutch and 72 tooth axle 72/12=6 or
#42 10 tooth clutch and 60 tooth axle 60/10=6
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The 6:1 top speed calculates to 27mph. One of you guys mentioned adjusting the throttle stop. The 7.2:1 puts it at 22. Should I look at doing a converter?

I am trying to make sure it doesn't top 20mph.

I think I have made up my mind on the torque converter. Not much more money, and it just feels more comfortable. Plus it looks cooler lol. If I have to move the engine mount plate, so be it. I hope not, because then I will be forced to tear it all the way down and paint it! Then I would have to decide a color combo, upgrade pedals, get some wide polished wheels, and a crushed velour seat!

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Sounds like a crushed velour seat is in your future. Because an 80+ tooth axle gear gets really big, then you end up with a fifth wheel. So 6:1 and a Torque converter, then you can limit the throttle.

OzFab

Reaction score
Just putting it out there: Although fitting a TC to a one wheel drive is not impossible, it does come with an inherent level of difficulty; if you're ready to throw it on the scrap heap now, A TC may just push you over the edge...

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
I CAN weld, just trying my best not to. If I am to break out the welder, I may as well convert it to live axle. It is my fault for trying to make this old kart like a new mercedes on a 72 ford pickup budget. I started another thread (mainly because I THOUGHT I had decided on a setup) if you dont mind chiming in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.