Another Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
It IS a Streaker! I need a throttle cable. I don't know what to look for as far as end connections and length or mounting brackets for that matter. I assume the toggle is a kill switch??

20151217_191749.jpg

20151217_191823.jpg

20151217_193803.jpg

20151217_194028.jpg

20151217_193949.jpg

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
I think I am going to keep these wheels for now, but want to go with a slightly larger tire. Can someone explain kart tire sizes to me?

20151217_191725.jpg

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
Im sitting here looking at the links provided, and I am a little overwhelmed. I'm a little frustrated because this is all new to me, and I dont know where to start, or what to think of to make everything come together.

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
My head hurts. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I don't see how to change to disc brake without modding the kart.

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
Guys, I know it gets old answering the same questions for noobs over and over. Especially when (like me) they just don't seem to get it, or put the effort in to research on their own. I have searched the boards, read stickies, googled, everything I know to do. I simply can not wrap my head around all of this for some reason. I really need some guidance guys. PLEASE help me get this kart done for my boy. Once I start understanding the geometry and terminology of karts, I may be of some use to you guys, but right now I need someone to explain to me how to figure this out in simple terms. Thanks in advance.

FYI, I have done CRAP at work today. I have lurked this board, the links provided in this thread, and searched google. WTF am I missing?? IDK....

Zombient

Junkyard Derelict
Reaction score
Don't expect to get your questions answered immediately. Most the guys here are either at work or taking their mid day nap (whole bunch of old farts on here). I'm lucky enough where I work at a computer, so I get to mess around here all day lol. Most of the activity on these forums happen during the evening here in the U.S. We have a couple of Australians who think sleep is for the weak, so they stay up 24/7.

I think I can answer a couple of your questions.

Disk brakes are going to require modifications AKA welding.

The switch is a kill switch.

Tires depend on the wheel size. Kart tires are no different than car tires. Granted, they're smaller, but the sizing is the same. Get us the size of your current tires and we can go from there.

Honestly, I'd just run it as is. Clean it up, repaint it, make it look new. Like I said, I have a kart that's pretty close to yours.

Mine is a blast to drive. It's a 1 wheel drive, band brake kart. I use it on and off road. Even with the slicks, it's impressive off-road. I'm sure yours will be the same.

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
Thanks. I had just noticed the "views" going up, and no comments lol. As far as the tire... correct me if I am wrong.
4.10/3.50-5 size means 4.1" tall, 3.5" wide on a 5" wheel? How wide and tall can I go? Not sure what size to get really, they just look SO SMALL. The band brake just looks so weak to me, and it will need to be replaced. If you look back on the pics I posted, the band doesnt even seat completely on the drum. I can handle some welding/ modding, I just dont want to (at this time) go through a complete overhaul, but want to make it as fun and safe as possible for the boy.

Zombient

Junkyard Derelict
Reaction score
I hear ya.

Yeah, someone might be able to direct you to the whole disk brake conversion, I've never done it. You can get new bands, that's not a problem. Mine sits on there like crap, I just tightened down the cable I have going to it and now it locks the wheel. But of course, disk brakes are usually better. In this case, I'm not 100% sure.

As far as your tires go, here's your options.

Option 1
Option 2
Option 3
Option 4

Tgh567

Reaction score
No cursing, why would you change to disc brake, start out tomorrow and go get a harbor freight motor and bolts. Also buy a clutch from amazon. Once you've done that come back and we'll help you more.

Tgh567

Reaction score
I just did this same project with that exact same cart so I can help you heres what mine turned out like don't have a picture with motor unfortunately as I sold it today.

Attachments

• IMG_0728.jpg
    IMG_0728.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 2

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
I hear ya.

Yeah, someone might be able to direct you to the whole disk brake conversion, I've never done it. You can get new bands, that's not a problem. Mine sits on there like crap, I just tightened down the cable I have going to it and now it locks the wheel. But of course, disk brakes are usually better. In this case, I'm not 100% sure.

As far as your tires go, here's your options.

Option 1
Option 2
Option 3
Option 4

My concern with the band is my novice, timid boy being able to stop it. I guess I will just have to try it. The disc just seems a little more comfortable to me is all. As far as tires, option 4 is it! Thanks for that. I see that I was correct in tire sizing. So now I need to figure out clutch, chain, sprocket and throttle cable. Still in the air about brake. Looking for a dual bucket seat I guess they don't exist lol

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

I just did this same project with that exact same cart so I can help you heres what mine turned out like don't have a picture with motor unfortunately as I sold it today.

Nice! Not painting this one yet. This is looking like a "test the waters" project for now to get his (and mine, apparently) feet wet. I guess I will be studying these things and planning what to do next winter

OzFab

Reaction score
These guys are correct, a disc brake conversion is a bit like a live axle conversion, it's simply not worth the time & effort...

From what I can see in the pics, the wheel hub is out of alignment; remove & inspect the hub & axle, look for spacers or anything which will impede inward movement of the hub; if there's nothing there, you may need to space out the sprocket & brake drum from the hub...

Adding to the brake issue, the band mounting pin is bent (see pic 4, post #20), which will throw off the band alignment; strighten it, making it square to the frame, & that may even solve the issue...

Seeing the amount of oil & crud in the vicinity is a bit of a worry, as you probably know, once oil gets into brake or clutch material, it's toast...

Larger tyres will affect the drive ratio; have a read through this, by the end, you should have a much better understanding of gearing...

A replacement throttle cable can be as simple as a trip to the lical bicycle shop for a brake cable & a couple of cable stops/anchors; determining the correct length before hand is the hard part...

All this can be a little overwhelming at first, just try to remember, a kart is just a small, simple car; however, adding posts incessantly every few hours can be considered rude; as this is a 24 hour forum, there are members signing in at all hours; for example, you're probably just about ready to go to bed but, it's the middle of the day here; Paul (landuse) should be here in about 4-5 hours...

All I'm saying is a little patience goes a long way. I don't respond to every thread but, I look at them (it's kinda my job :lolgoku:) & I'm not the only one; people will view a thread but, if they have no useful input, they move on...

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
These guys are correct, a disc brake conversion is a bit like a live axle conversion, it's simply not worth the time & effort...

From what I can see in the pics, the wheel hub is out of alignment; remove & inspect the hub & axle, look for spacers or anything which will impede inward movement of the hub; if there's nothing there, you may need to space out the sprocket & brake drum from the hub...

Adding to the brake issue, the band mounting pin is bent (see pic 4, post #20), which will throw off the band alignment; strighten it, making it square to the frame, & that may even solve the issue...

Seeing the amount of oil & crud in the vicinity is a bit of a worry, as you probably know, once oil gets into brake or clutch material, it's toast...

Larger tyres will affect the drive ratio; have a read through this, by the end, you should have a much better understanding of gearing...

A replacement throttle cable can be as simple as a trip to the lical bicycle shop for a brake cable & a couple of cable stops/anchors; determining the correct length before hand is the hard part...

All this can be a little overwhelming at first, just try to remember, a kart is just a small, simple car; however, adding posts incessantly every few hours can be considered rude; as this is a 24 hour forum, there are members signing in at all hours; for example, you're probably just about ready to go to bed but, it's the middle of the day here; Paul (landuse) should be here in about 4-5 hours...

All I'm saying is a little patience goes a long way. I don't respond to every thread but, I look at them (it's kinda my job :lolgoku:) & I'm not the only one; people will view a thread but, if they have no useful input, they move on...

Point taken. I'm used to being around a bunch of post w#04es like myself hah. Thanks for the input, I will have to look at the link tomorrow. I may take the kart to the shop with me to clean it up. The front is out of alignment too, but I noticed it's just tie rods, and there is room in the threads to adjust. I will take the wheel and hub off if I get time to. Thanks for the input

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

............and some people will post for no danned apparent reason! !!!

I wouldn't know anything about THAT!:rolleyes:

You and I are going to get along just fine. Even if you ARE a Texan!

MOPARVICK

Reaction score

I dont see what you are referring to in that pic.

That is a pretty useful write up there!

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I do. The pin that the brake band mounts to does not appear to be 90° to the frame rail....(looks like it should be more forward, which would take slack out of the band).

But, it looks like that whole thing has been wrecked (to me) axle bent, sprocket either bent or something (not parallel to rim)....

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
It doesnt look bent to me. I AM concerned that the hu or axle may be bent. I have it at my shop. Gonna clean it up, and take it home for full inspection. The sprocket doesnt seem to "wobble" while spinning it though.... stumped.

20151219_101215.jpg

20151219_101220.jpg

20151219_101234.jpg

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
Look at the circled area in the pic below; as poboy mentioned, the pin is not 90° to the frame so, the band won't sit on the drum correctly...

I hope it helped...

Ahh. Ok. Yeah, it did. Never made it to pick up the engine today, going first thing in the am. I'm going to play with the calculator a little to decide gears and rear tire size, which I found today to be 13- 4-6 iirc. I may move those to the front and get 6 inch wheels and a slightly larger Tire in the back if the numbers work out. That write up is exactly what I meant in one of my earlier posts about "how to for dummies". If I can understand it, it's a good write up!

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Well you might have noticed I like to give Fabro a hard time. But I will also admit that thread on gearing (from him) is how I learned a lot about gearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.