Another Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
I never even heard the air brakes on the bus my buddy threw me under, but somehow, I ended up with this project for my son. I never had a kart as a kid. I only got to ride in one a few times. I REALLY want to do this right for my boy, but I really don't know where to start. I dont even know what brand the chassis is, or how old it is. It doesnt look to be from my era lol. How do I determine what engine it needs? I know I want something with a governor so I can turn it up as he grows. Is there a common shaft size and location on all horizontal shaft engines? Aside from engine, what do I need to look at/ for as far as drivetrain? Where can I find nice but inexpensive wheels and tires? How do I convert it to live axle? I have SO MANY questions, so anyone who can chime in and make suggestions to a noob would be greatly appreciated. Anything you can think of to school me on this. His birthday is next month, and I would love to have it ready for him to ride by then. Thanks in advance
-Gary

20151216_195238.jpg

20151216_195251.jpg

Zombient

Junkyard Derelict
Reaction score
:welcome2:

I dont even know what brand the chassis is, or how old it is.

Older. It looks to maybe be a Carter Bros?

How do I determine what engine it needs?

Does it turn over?
Does it spark?
Does it try to start?

I know I want something with a governor so I can turn it up as he grows.

You'd actually adjust the throttle.

Is there a common shaft size and location on all horizontal shaft engines?

Looks like Briggs & Stratton 5hp. Should be 3/4" shaft. The location is usually universal, but the lengths of the shafts can differ.

Aside from engine, what do I need to look at/ for as far as drivetrain?

I can tell you right now that is a one wheel drive, not a live axle. I'd stick with a Centrifugal clutch, the same that's on it now. If that one is burned up or frozen, you can still get new ones no problem. But if you're going to convert to live axle, then you'd probably consider a Torque Converter.

Where can I find nice but inexpensive wheels and tires?

http://www.bmikarts.com/Rims-Wheels_c_288.html
http://www.gopowersports.com/go-kart-parts/go-kart-tires-wheels/
https://www.ombwarehouse.com/Mini-Bike-Go-Kart-Parts

How do I convert it to live axle?

You'd have to weld mounts on either side. They can be bought from the same site I gave you for the wheels.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
What in the wild World of Sports is going on here?????

A new member that can spell and punctuate, fill out a profile location, and post pictures on post #1?????

Somebody pinch me.......WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

EDIT: I like this guy....I vote we expand the cap on Alabamans and let him him....(if his skin is half as thick as his noggin).....we're gonna enjoy each other's company!

MOPARVICK

Reaction score

THANKS!

Older. It looks to maybe be a Carter Bros?

Does it turn over?
Does it spark?
Does it try to start?

It isn't frozen, only pulled it for giggles, just got it last night, and haven't even looked closely at it.

You'd actually adjust the throttle.
at the carb? no governor?

Looks like Briggs & Stratton 5hp. Should be 3/4" shaft. The location is usually universal, but the lengths of the shafts can differ.
Can I assume it is marked, or can you tell me how to measure it?

I can tell you right now that is a one wheel drive, not a live axle. I'd stick with a Centrifugal clutch, the same that's on it now. If that one is burned up or frozen, you can still get new ones no problem. But if you're going to convert to live axle, then you'd probably consider a Torque Converter.

I knew it was one wheel drive from rolling it to the truck to load. I really think it needs to be converted because of the terrain he will be riding it in. Our yard is far from level. I don't really know what I am doing here!

Thanks for the links. I am starting to think this rabbit hole is deeper than I can climb back out of :confused:

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

What in the wild World of Sports is going on here?????

A new member that can spell and punctuate, fill out a profile location, and post pictures on post #1?????

Somebody pinch me.......WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

EDIT: I like this guy....I vote we expand the cap on Alabamans and let him him....(if his skin is half as thick as his noggin).....we're gonna enjoy each other's company!

HAHA!! Ive been on various boards over the years, so I like to at least START my profile before posting. Thanks for the welcome! I am a Dodge owner, so I have Rhino skin out of necessity lol. I am actually FROM Florida, if that helps my case!

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Nope....we have too many guys from Florida, too.....JK....

Take the air filter off, shoot some carb cleaner in and pull the cord a few times. If it runs, (and probably will).... you have a couple of options:

#1 : (And best);clean /or replace carb (cleaning should do....tank may need cleaning as well).

#2: As it runs for those few seconds...clamp your hand over the carb opening until it almost dies....then let off....it will either die or pick back up....rinse and repeat, (including a shot of carb cleaner if necessary) . It may take a while....(if it's gonna work....you'll notice a gradual increase in the run time after a half dozen pulls...)

I've gotten some engines running pretty well this way....(the increased pressure created by the suction often clears some obstruction) .

I've disassembled carbs after doing this...and was shocked at how gunked up they were!

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
The carb is in pieces in a box lol. I have a 4bbl 650. Maybe I will throw that on!
I would rather throw an engine on it. I poked around a little, seems like a lot of you guys favor the harbor freight ones. Funny, most of the HF stuff breaks on first use. I call them Harbor Break haha.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Gotcha....not a bad move at all....yep! Harbor Freight 212cc Predator....

Not all HF stuff is crap....I love my welder....and several other tools have served me well....and I couldn't have afforded them otherwise.

If it's a tool I make my living with, I go for better (usually) , but for occasional use....(like most of us REALLY use their tools)....most of their stuff is pretty good.

The 4" Chicago Electric angle grinders are awesome.....(I think you have to drop them off a 5 story building to break them).....

Last edited:

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
I should have stock in the place to be honest lol. If I get the Predator, I basically just need to match up to it from there, correct? I guess I will be lurking the boards this weekend for "how to for dummies" on how to convert to live axle, and add the torque converter

Zombient

Junkyard Derelict
Reaction score
Honestly, I have a kart that's pretty close to yours. Uses the same front end and rear end, just converted to a single seat kart. It's a 1 wheel drive with mower slicks. It still does surprisingly well offroad. It may burn out for half a second, but then it moves quick on the grass. Granted I'm just taking it over dirt and grass, no huge bumps, gravel or rocks.

The predator should be a bolt on. Little to no modifications needed.

The governor will need to be removed if you want to go faster than full throttle, stock. Otherwise, starting off you can just back off the throttle to limit how much gas you're giving the engine.

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
Honestly, I have a kart that's pretty close to yours. Uses the same front end and rear end, just converted to a single seat kart. It's a 1 wheel drive with mower slicks. It still does surprisingly well offroad. It may burn out for half a second, but then it moves quick on the grass. Granted I'm just taking it over dirt and grass, no huge bumps, gravel or rocks.

The predator should be a bolt on. Little to no modifications needed.

The governor will need to be removed if you want to go faster than full throttle, stock. Otherwise, starting off you can just back off the throttle to limit how much gas you're giving the engine.

With that said, I may just pick up the engine, give it a try, and wait until he tears it up some to start modding it lol

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
DON'T!!!!! I mean....make sure you can walk out for less than $100..ummmnnnnnn......(for the engine) .....the collateral damage spending is on you!!!!! Yeah, even a Poboy has been known to drop a few extra bucks at Horror Freight!!!!!

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Be sure to bring one of them Harbor Freight 20% off coupons too.
If you want to get this project moving quicker and easier. I would keep the current rear axle set up for now.
Check out Kartfab.com He is a member here and has a great how to site for your current set up.
Also DIYgo karts not the forum. Just scroll all the way up and click the header. The how to there is for your current set up
Here is a handy link for parts from the forum:
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1180

Oh yeah:welcome2:

OzFab

Reaction score
:welcome2:

IMHO, converting to live axle is more trouble than it's worth because you will need to modify the steering geometry as well; from experience, I can tell you that a one wheel drive is better suited to a young, inexperienced driver anyway...

Engine: Yep, bolt on a Predator & let him rip; just be aware that the Predator output shaft is shorter than that on the B&S...

Adjusting the governor or throttle is not a good idea to control speed as the centrifugal clutch doesn't fully lock until it reaches ~ 2200rpm; if the engine speed doesn't reach that speed, the clutch will constantly slip & last a few days at best; the best way to adjust top speed is with gearing; yes, the governor can be adjusted down, just make sure you don't go too far...

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I had already decided against live axle for now at least. I actually looked at the kart tonight. It is a Streaker. I also noticed 2 bolts to snatched the bs off, so I did that. Much easier than pulling the motor from mybtruck, and I bet the kart will even run when I'm finished! Explain in simpleton how I adjust for the shaft length difference, and adjust the gearing properly to slow it down. I noticed the alignment looked off tonight. I have to go to bed, but I have more questions, and pics for you guys tomorrow. Thanks for the welcomes!

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

DON'T!!!!! I mean....make sure you can walk out for less than $100..ummmnnnnnn......(for the engine) .....the collateral damage spending is on you!!!!! Yeah, even a Poboy has been known to drop a few extra bucks at Horror Freight!!!!!

I'm going to have a link I got from this site opened up on my phone. 99.99 iirc

MOPARVICK

Reaction score
OK, so it seems as if the alignment of the gear on the clutch and the sprocket on the axle was off, as well as the alignment from the brake band and drum. I have already been told that the shaft on the Predator is a little shorter... HOW MUCH shorter?? On the brakes, how hard/ expensive is it to swap to mechanical disc?

20151217_190523.jpg

20151217_193841.jpg

20151217_193819.jpg

20151217_193851.jpg

20151217_190510.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.