twistedpiston
New member
I've been lurking here for a while trying to glean as much information as I can before asking any questions. …and have found some great info, not to mention inspiration for a future build. What a great group.
I recently purchased an old Path Winder cart as a father and sons project. It has a good running Tecumseh 6.5 hp engine but needs a rear axle. I’ve searched here and the online parts houses, but I am still not sure exactly what parts I will need. It originally had a 1” solid live axle with no step on the drive end (keyed) and a step to .75” that is 3.0” long with an additional .625” of threads on the other end. The hub for the stepped side (which is serviceable) had 1.38od x .75id bearings. The hub on the drive end is not serviceable. …the drive sprocket and band brake assembly is also serviceable.
My plan is to replace the axle and drive hub of course. I would like to be able to reuse the non-drive hub to save cost, but I have not been able to find a replacement axle with those dimensions.
So… I figured a new axle and hubs are in order. My question, after that lengthy intro, is what axle / hub combination would be preferable? (I thought about having both wheels drive but since this cart is for my kids, it might be best to avoid the understeer) It would be nice to avoid buying new wheels also.
Here is my short list of what I’m pretty sure I need:
-Axle
-Hubs and bearings
-Axle carrier bearings
-Locking collars
Would someone please point me in the right direction as far as which axle and hubs would suit my application?
Thanks in advance and my apologies for such a long first post!
I recently purchased an old Path Winder cart as a father and sons project. It has a good running Tecumseh 6.5 hp engine but needs a rear axle. I’ve searched here and the online parts houses, but I am still not sure exactly what parts I will need. It originally had a 1” solid live axle with no step on the drive end (keyed) and a step to .75” that is 3.0” long with an additional .625” of threads on the other end. The hub for the stepped side (which is serviceable) had 1.38od x .75id bearings. The hub on the drive end is not serviceable. …the drive sprocket and band brake assembly is also serviceable.
My plan is to replace the axle and drive hub of course. I would like to be able to reuse the non-drive hub to save cost, but I have not been able to find a replacement axle with those dimensions.
So… I figured a new axle and hubs are in order. My question, after that lengthy intro, is what axle / hub combination would be preferable? (I thought about having both wheels drive but since this cart is for my kids, it might be best to avoid the understeer) It would be nice to avoid buying new wheels also.
Here is my short list of what I’m pretty sure I need:
-Axle
-Hubs and bearings
-Axle carrier bearings
-Locking collars
Would someone please point me in the right direction as far as which axle and hubs would suit my application?
Thanks in advance and my apologies for such a long first post!