Another new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

ak99

New member
Messages
131
Reaction score
2
Location
Queensland, Australia
Well, here it is...

I started this project before I joined here, actually it's more a conversion rather than a build.

I will make one point, this is not intended to be a serious racing kart, just something to have fun building on a low budget and have a bit of fun driving it when finished.

The photos tell the story so far, it started as a rear engine Murray ride on (minus the engine), 5 spd g'box with reverse.

I completely removed the front end and built a new one from scratch, fitted bearings to the front wheels.

Stripped down, cleaned and re-greased the gearbox, added split pins to the rear axles.

made new linkages and relocated the gearshift. I've also made a rollbar, however it's not fitted at present.

For something different, the power comes from a modified 160cc 2 stroke. It's sitting on the floor waiting to be fitted. Having removed any unnecessary weight this engine will be sufficient and besides I'm not looking for high speeds anyway.

I'll post some more pics as it progesses.
 

Attachments

  • Mower.jpg
    Mower.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Rolling Frame.jpg
    Rolling Frame.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 37

zbuck

New member
Messages
781
Reaction score
3
Location
Ft. Wayne, IN
:wai: Looks good so far. The 1st thing I would do with the stamp sheet metal frame is reinforce it on the under side before it folds up like an accordion.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
152
Location
Ontario, Canada
That's a neat little project. Do you know which transmission you have? It might be a Peerless 700.

What's the engine? Victa, maybe?

Very good idea, fabbing a new front axle. Mower frontend components really are not up to the rigors of karting. Good job so far!
 

ak99

New member
Messages
131
Reaction score
2
Location
Queensland, Australia
:wai: Looks good so far. The 1st thing I would do with the stamp sheet metal frame is reinforce it on the under side before it folds up like an accordion.

Definitely!! This is another job on the "to do" list. I'm going to do it before I do the seat etc.
 

ak99

New member
Messages
131
Reaction score
2
Location
Queensland, Australia
That's a neat little project. Do you know which transmission you have? It might be a Peerless 700.

What's the engine? Victa, maybe?

Very good idea, fabbing a new front axle. Mower frontend components really are not up to the rigors of karting. Good job so far!

The transmission is a Spicer, I've heard mixed opinions on them however mine is in very good cond so we'll see how long it lasts.
It's not a hydro, just a normal gearbox / diff.

You're right, the engine is a Victa 160cc. It has been rebuilt, ported and the head shaved slightly. I'm not sure about the carb yet, I'll try it out with the std G3 first. I've made an exhaust so that's another "try it out" thing.

I'll post some pics of the front end when it's painted. It's in ugly grey primer at the moment.

Cheers
 

zbuck

New member
Messages
781
Reaction score
3
Location
Ft. Wayne, IN
Definitely!! This is another job on the "to do" list. I'm going to do it before I do the seat etc.

:wai:Glad to hear that. The Spicer/Dana is a good trans, is it a trans or transaxle? If its a transaxle you need to take the transaxle apart and remove the reverse chain. Any you time you change the pulleys/gear ratio, you are exceding the r's that the transaxle was designed for. Therefore it will throw the reverse chain thru the case putting an nice hole in it. Another thing, clean all the benonite grease out and put in 10oz's of gear oil. Also if there is no case vent, install one.
 

ak99

New member
Messages
131
Reaction score
2
Location
Queensland, Australia
:wai:Glad to hear that. The Spicer/Dana is a good trans, is it a trans or transaxle? If its a transaxle you need to take the transaxle apart and remove the reverse chain. Any you time you change the pulleys/gear ratio, you are exceding the r's that the transaxle was designed for. Therefore it will throw the reverse chain thru the case putting an nice hole in it. Another thing, clean all the benonite grease out and put in 10oz's of gear oil. Also if there is no case vent, install one.

Thanks for the tip on the case vent, one thing I didn't think of!!

There's no chain in my gearbox, and after reading your comment that puts my mind at ease...

Cheers
 

zbuck

New member
Messages
781
Reaction score
3
Location
Ft. Wayne, IN
:wai: You are Welcome. With no chain, you must have a trans instead of a transaxle? If so. use the same theroy, grease out, gear oil in.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top