anderkarts new ride

anderkart

Reaction score
I scored this Invader offset/oval racer a few weeks ago but finally shot some pics today.

All I've realy done so far is instal my engine.

Next week I'll probably be taking the kart/seat over to my much more experienced buddies house to have it all setup and scaled to race at this track: http://www.azkarting.com/default_2008.htm. I was racing my old Sprint kart at a diferent/smaller clay oval track here but I've been waiting to get a more appropriate Offset chassis like this before I moved up to the bigger track.

When I can afford it, I'll probably be getting a new and much cooler designed nose piece with matching side body panels in Blue/Black colors. I'll definitely end up with some better/safer Nerf bars at some point too.

My right-front spindle (pictured below) just has this ride-height adjuster for quick easy changes but has no adjustments for caster/camber.

The L/F (pictured below) has the old style Pill type caster/camber adjuster on top.
For ride height adjustments you have to remove the king pin bolt to re-arrange the flat washer positions around to any combonation of the top or bottom of the spindle.

All my wheel hubs are drilled with 3 diferent bolt patterns. (American, Metric and the shifter kart bolt patern) I've managed to accumulate rims with all 3 bolt patterns so I thought that was a really cool feature.

The end... ;)

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
nice, looks like 'someone drove it like they stole it' though. might i ask what you gave for it? and why does the sprocket's guard look like a clutch disc?

anderkart

Reaction score
Thanks Mike.

$300 w/o engine. Its an older (probably a 2002 design) chassis but its only been on the track a few times. My Buddy needed the cash and gave me a great deal. The well used nose, side panels and Nerf bars were actualy from another chassis but the rest of the kart looks nearly brand new.

That's called a sprocket saver. As you drive over bumps and stuff it keeps your sprocket/chain from digging in the ground. They also serve as a chain guide to help keep the chain on as the chassis and axle flexes under extreme conditions. The plastic ones only cost like $20 or so, mines Aluminum and probably cost a bit more.

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
so your spindles are made like that to follow the track under extreme chassis torsion? (where the kingpin goes) seems it would do better to put a spring on the top side to make sure it stays in contact with the ground. imho. just noticed the egr valve in you oil filler tube. does that engine have that much blow-by, or just that much compression?

1992suburban

I wanna go FAST!!
Reaction score
he just doesnt have the washers in so you can see the up and down.. adjustment

Nice Kart Ander!!! I like the Tilly and the clutch setup.. looks good

how much cross you shootin for and stagger

anderkart

Reaction score
so your spindles are made like that to follow the track under extreme chassis torsion? (where the kingpin goes) seems it would do better to put a spring on the top side to make sure it stays in contact with the ground. imho. just noticed the egr valve in you oil filler tube. does that engine have that much blow-by, or just that much compression?

You might be on to something there with that spring idea but I've never seen it done.

The left side is curently set with most all the washers on top, here's a diferent camera angle that shows a couple of the washers:

The PVC valve thang: That 1/4" blue fuel line you see in the front of engine is the pulse line to drive the fuel pump. Its fitting is is instaled only a couple inches away from that large 3/4" breather/PVC valves connection to the crankcase. They're located so close to each other that without a functioning PVC valve in that huge breather I dont get a strong enough pulse signal to drive the fuel pump. That plumbing was all set up this way when I bought this engine and it works fine. The PVC valve also helps keep the engine from sucking dirt in. This PVC valve doesnt realy control blow-by because it still alows the pulse signals to exit, but just not to draw back in...

anderkart

Reaction score
he just doesnt have the washers in so you can see the up and down.. adjustment

Nice Kart Ander!!! I like the Tilly and the clutch setup.. looks good

how much cross you shootin for and stagger

I think all the washers are in there, but now that you mention it... I really havent double checked yet. ;)

Thanks man, I've wanted an offset for awhile and I finally stumbled across a deal I could afford.

That Tilly's a model HL363B. I learned Tillotson custom manufactured a 1000 of these methanol carbs just for the Star engines. Evidently mine had some further mods done by A-1 racing, they also stamped their logo into it.

I'm not sure what cross/stagger/percentages I'm gonna run yet, Invader karts went out of business a few years back and I'm having trouble finding any specs. I've got a thread going over at bobs trying to figure that out right now, I've had one dude post so far: http://karting.4cycle.com/showthread.php?t=295286

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
hey ander, sorry i couldn't remember what that valve was called. pcv- positive crankcase vent....oh yeah thats what it's called duh!!! (for my own reminder)

anderkart

Reaction score
That's cool Mike, I'd forgot to mention one of the functions of adjustable ride-height was to dial in cross and ended up gettin served by a dang-ol snickerdoodle.

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
LMAO snickerdoodle can come in helpfull some days lol the other hes here to annoy... theres a reason this one chick calls me that... dont ask cause i dont know..

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
ander the idea on using a spring to keep the wheel down, when you do it, make sure the kart doesn't act like a reverse spoiler. that would definitely suck!!

NJOHC

Reaction score
Very nice kart! I really like that sprocket idea. It could work really well for off road applications as well. This way when I get snagged the part is still moving and it wont lift my back wheels up off the ground. Is it just screwed straight into the sprocket hub?

anderkart

Reaction score
Thanks NJOHC, I really dig your off road kart (and videos!) too but dont think I've ever posted on your threads. I'd like to get another kart like yours someday.

Yep, I think some form of sprocket saver would be a great addition to most any kart. But it seems to me like any type of sprocket saver could still lift the kart up off the ground if you got snagged. They'd just be helping to protect the sprocket and surrounding chain from direct contact.

The type like mine are just 2 separate pieces that bolt up right along with the sprocket, directly to the hub with extra long bolts. Heres some pics: http://www.out2win.com/catalog/sprkt_acc.html

NJOHC

Reaction score
Thanks! I think I might have to try that lol Mine is currently attached to the frame like a guard. I think that might help since it moves with the axle. Worth a try anyway