Amazon Plasma Cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ECTGIQ

To kick us off, I'm just going to copy my review:

"My first plasma cutter and first time using one but I am an experienced weldor so it was very straight forward.Right off the bat I had to install the 220V power plug that matches my equipment, and a male quick disconnect air coupler- LUCKILY I had them both in my shop otherwise it would have been a long trip in to Phoenix from New River to use the plasma cutter.

I used teflon tape on the fittings and had no issues with leaking air. One major disappointment I learned this is a "scratch start" machine, you have to touch the torch gun to the metal to create the arc, that's an indicator I'll be going through consumables more frequently.

It cut through 3/8" like a hot knife in butter, 1/2" was a little tougher, and although sloppy- I was able to cut through a 1" gokart axle. For that I am pleased as I believe this plasma cutter will save me in select situations. If I were to buy another cutter, I'd definitely shop for a non-touch machine. However I believe this one is reasonably priced- you get what you pay for."

Attachments

• IMG_5914.jpg
    IMG_5914.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 5

mckutzy

Reaction score
That does look like a decent deal... And they ship to Canada...
If what I'm seeing is in US$.. Still not too bad with conversion...

What kind of compressor do you need to run it????

TT540

Newb
Reaction score
I have used my plasma cutter with a pancake compressor to cut a rear end out of a car. I'd say it runs as much as an air tool like a cut off wheel. It's the constant use that will require a larger compressor. I once cut the front bumper off of an old bronco and it took about 1 hour to get the job done with my 18 gallon compressor. That was like running a sand blaster. You just have to take breaks. For odds and end jobs, a small compressor will work. But if you plan to run some kind of production with it, then invest in something better.

There are some useful jigs for plasma cutting. It is very hard to run a straight line. I have built some out of wood as a guide. The best thing to get is an add on like below that allows you to get a set height and apply pressure which helps you keep the torch going straight. Lots of various, even DIY options:
http://www.opennrg.com/product/plasma-torch-standoff-guide-jig/

Oh, and the slag from cutting will burn your concrete if you cut low enough to the ground. Cut higher and the junk goes everywhere, and WILL burn a hole in your shoes, and socks, and toes while you jump up and down screaming.

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
I do like the thought of a jig to keep the torch a fixed distance from the work but since you have to scratch start this machine you'd have to figure out how to set the gap on the fly

mckutzy

Reaction score
Is it a problem to have a contact torch???

I've only known that they need to have contact to make an arc for cutting...

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
consider a TIG machine, my Lincoln SW200 does not require physical contact to arc, you can convert an AC stick welder to "scratch-start" where the tungsten has to scratch the surface of the work to generate arc, in fact Amazon has the Lotos machine which is a combo stick, TIG, plasma, not bad for $500

Status
Not open for further replies.