Aluminium fly wheel from GX 160 on My engine..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
It's significantly lighter than a cast iron fly wheel.. it says Pheion on it.. How much HP will I gain if I swapped this into my Subaru 7 HP? It's probably 1-1/2 pounds lighter.. Just curious if I'll get more vroom from my kart... I have to buy new ignition thingy and crap, just curious if HP is worth it? 🙂

Attachments

• BBE4742D-0E7C-4A9D-83AC-3A788D47770B.jpg
    BBE4742D-0E7C-4A9D-83AC-3A788D47770B.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 2
  • AEACED06-355B-4F34-A53F-518E2476317A.jpg
    AEACED06-355B-4F34-A53F-518E2476317A.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 88E76095-C1E6-45D5-8E9B-10E0957483F9.jpg
    88E76095-C1E6-45D5-8E9B-10E0957483F9.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 0A22BD48-E12A-41CB-B6E3-6540F678511A.jpg
    0A22BD48-E12A-41CB-B6E3-6540F678511A.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 1

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
Will a lighter fly wheel help the engine spin faster? Because my engine barely makes it to 4500 rpm.... On road...

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
okay... Maby ill just put it on so i can say I've got an aluminium flywheel idk...

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
I like how this one says USA on it rather than 'made in China'

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 PM ----------

What's the top speed of your cart.
Use your phone GPS and a speedo app. I'm sure you can figure that out.

40 mph... About with a 4:8.1 ratio............

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
MAX gain: ZERO hp!

MAX loss: SEVEN hp!

does the taper on subaru's fit the GX flywheel at all?
how about the magnet position relative to the key?
what about dimensional differences (ID, OD, height)
You sure that's not just a stupid brain fart?

'sid

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
MAX gain: ZERO hp!

MAX loss: SEVEN hp!

does the taper on subaru's fit the GX flywheel at all?
how about the magnet position relative to the key?
what about dimensional differences (ID, OD, height)
You sure that's not just a stupid brain fart?

'sid

everything is the same... I just got to buy that spark plug thingy, well one that is height ajustable...

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

way do peoples put lighter flywheels on if there loosing power?

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
A 4.8 ratio? Do you start down hill?

More hp comes from a bigger and or more explosions in the combustion chamber. Period.

The reason for using a lighter flywheel is so the engine can get up to a higher rpm faster. More bangs.
Capeech?

Last edited:

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
A 4.8 ratio? Do you start down hill?

More hp comes from a bigger and or more explosions in the combustion chamber. Period.

The reason for using a lighter flywheel is so the engine can get up to a higher rpm faster. More bangs.
Capeech?
idk how u write it but it 10 tooth torque converter 48 tooth final... :eek:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Will a lighter fly wheel help the engine spin faster? Because my engine barely makes it to 4500 rpm.... On road...

No.
Like I said it will only spin up faster.
It has nothing to do with the govoner limiting the Rpm's.

Forgetting that it probably doesn't fit...
And with no governor and HD springs....

Spinning a heavier flywheel requires more torque ... just like pushing a heavier box requires more linear force. Your engine has to spin the flywheel and the push kart. Are you saying that reducing the moment of inertia on the flywheel will not free up any power to push the kart to higher RPMs. I propose that it must. But I'm just guessing.

Can you push a heavy box faster once you empty the contents. Yes.
Why wouldn't the engine be able to push the kart faster once you reduce the moment of inertia (equivalent of mass in angular acceleration).

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
idk how u write it but it 10 tooth torque converter 48 tooth final... :eek:

48T/10T = 4.8
The gear ratio is usually expressed as 4.8:1 (said "Four Point Eight To One").
With a 30 series TC, there is a 0.90:1 overdrive. That means the final gear ratio in highest gear is 4.8 x 0.9 = 4.3
4.3:1

Meaning the crankshaft spins ~4 times every time the rear wheel turns 360 degrees. 4 crank turns is two complete cycles. So you get two power strokes per wheel revolution.

If you were geared 8:1, then that is 4 complete cycles per wheel revolution. You would get 4 bangs per wheel revolution.

This is why gearing gives you more grunt. More bangs, more grunt. LOL.

Anyway,:backtotopic: swap the 10T with a 9T, or 8T and watch your RPMs go up. Or swap the 48 with a 54T, or 60T and watch the same.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Forgetting that it probably doesn't fit...
And with no governor and HD springs....

Spinning a heavier flywheel requires more torque ... just like pushing a heavier box requires more linear force. Your engine has to spin the flywheel and the push kart. Are you saying that reducing the moment of inertia on the flywheel will not free up any power to push the kart to higher RPMs. I propose that it must. But I'm just guessing.

Can you push a heavy box faster once you empty the contents. Yes.
Why wouldn't the engine be able to push the kart faster once you reduce the moment of inertia (equivalent of mass in angular acceleration).

apart from it being perfectly correct that spinning up a heavier flywheel
(in the same time to the same speed) requires more torque

you are forgetting that 3/4 of all (4stroke-) engine rotation is "powerless"
the ONLY power to keep it going is INERTIA.. stored in -you guessed it already by now, don't you- the FLYWHEEL.
And yes, the lighter flywheel stores LESS energy!
So whatever power you save spinning up that flywheel you certainly lack when you rely on it's inertia..

No matter how light your flywheel is.. you cannot gain any power.
what you WILL gain is "snappyiness" when revving up as long as the engine is free to spin (no load)

as soon as you apply a load you need the flywheels inertia to complete the engine cycles for the next power stroke.

'sid

Tpdingo

Reaction score
apart from it being perfectly correct that spinning up a heavier flywheel
(in the same time to the same speed) requires more torque

you are forgetting that 3/4 of all (4stroke-) engine rotation is "powerless"
the ONLY power to keep it going is INERTIA.. stored in -you guessed it already by now, don't you- the FLYWHEEL.
And yes, the lighter flywheel stores LESS energy!
So whatever power you save spinning up that flywheel you certainly lack when you rely on it's inertia..

No matter how light your flywheel is.. you cannot gain any power.
what you WILL gain is "snappyiness" when revving up as long as the engine is free to spin (no load)

as soon as you apply a load you need the flywheels inertia to complete the engine cycles for the next power stroke.

'sid

Search up hit and miss engine, those engines without their massive flywheels cant do ANYTHING. The GX160 is just its faster running relative but suffers with the same problem.

MTNSleder

😈 Snake ƘƖԼԼЄ&
Reaction score
Okay then.... What's the optimal fly wheel weight for a 250 lb kart (with driver) that revs 5600 rpm ? �� because nothing's making a whole lot of sense...

anickode

Reaction score
Search up hit and miss engine, those engines without their massive flywheels cant do ANYTHING. The GX160 is just its faster running relative but suffers with the same problem.

That's why a lot of guys who build off-road and mud running lawn tractors prefer the old one-lung big block Kohlers and such. 16-18 hp single cylinder engines with big heavy cast iron flywheels. Takes a lot to stall one of those suckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.