• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Air Compressor Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
My 2hp air compressor has been acting up. I turn the thing on, and it slowly pumps up to 50psi, then continues running, but without developing anymore air pressure. It should go to about 130. I tightened up all the bolts, thinking maybe some had rattled loose, but the same thing. Now Ive taken the head off and dismantled it. Ive found some deposits of a rubbery sort of 'gunk', smaller than a pea, but theyre on the surface that contacts the reeds. I scraped the crap off, hoping that after I make a new gasket and put the thing back together, it'll be fixed. Anyone have any ideas?? Ill post pics later.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Water.
Any luck? I would think the valves are your problem.

Its been drained of water, I drain it every time Im done using it. The compressors at my moms, im at my dads till Wednesday, so we'll see then. The valves are what I thought. It actually doesnt have valves, but 2 reeds. The intake reed is directly over the (tiny) piston, inside the compression chamber. Its about 2-3in long and about 3/4in wide. The outtake reed is in the head and is arch shaped. Its 2-3in from end to end and about 1/2in wide. If the gunk under the reeds isnt causing it, then the only other logical thing are the piston rings, which I sort of doubt I could buy.

I really wanna get this thing working, because if I dont, then Ill have to get one for my birthday, and Id rather get one of these for my trip to Nevada this fall.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Here we go:

1st pic-Exhaust reed
2nd-Head
3rd-Cylinder, tiny(about 1 1/2in) piston, and intake reed.

Attachments

• 020211155739.jpg
    020211155739.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2
  • 020211155749.jpg
    020211155749.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 020211155819.jpg
    020211155819.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.