aftermarket belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

element10554

New member
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Glen Mills Pa
Has anybody ever tried to buy a belt from say pep boys or any other store instead of the ones advertised on go kart supply or any other "proper" belts and use them on there TC? I imagine it would be cheaper but that is only a guess.

Your thoughts?
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
There are many aftermarket belts for TCs, but TCs use very specific belts. The 30 series uses ones with exact cut angles and then the 20/40 series uses a symmetrically cut belt. The circumference of these belts must be exact for the center distance of your TC or else it won't work properly. If you have a belt number you can get aftermarket ones cheaper online (try Amazon) but they will only save you a buck or two.
 

element10554

New member
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Glen Mills Pa
There are many aftermarket belts for TCs, but TCs use very specific belts. The 30 series uses ones with exact cut angles and then the 20/40 series uses a symmetrically cut belt. The circumference of these belts must be exact for the center distance of your TC or else it won't work properly. If you have a belt number you can get aftermarket ones cheaper online (try Amazon) but they will only save you a buck or two.

Yea I figured as much. I am mounting a new engine on a go kart and the engine is so far from the driven unit about a foot from shaft to jackshaft I did not know if they sold belts that big from proper websites. My grandpop suggested I check out automotive belts for a larger variety of sizes
 

bighead

New member
Messages
4,022
Reaction score
54
Location
Pacific Northwest USA
Yea I figured as much. I am mounting a new engine on a go kart and the engine is so far from the driven unit about a foot from shaft to jackshaft I did not know if they sold belts that big from proper websites. My grandpop suggested I check out automotive belts for a larger variety of sizes

Get to correct belt. Then mount the motor to fit the correct belt.
 

element10554

New member
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Glen Mills Pa
Get to correct belt. Then mount the motor to fit the correct belt.

Thats my problem I was looking for a larger belt so that I could properly mount the engine according to the belt the engine (18hp Briggs) is a twin cylinder so its a bit bulky. I though that the belts sold on the websites came in one size and one size only which is why I was testing the waters of after market belts. I dont know whether to buy the belt first or mount the engine first.

I called gokart supply today and the lady told me to get a rough estimate from shaft to driven after I am done mounting the engine.
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
The 40 series has no factory predefined center distance for the TC so the belts come in many sizes. The 30 series with the back plate usually runs one belt as most as the same CD from the factory, but not the 40. There are charts listing the proper belt for each range of CDs.

Go here and scroll down to the 40 series chart. http://www.gokartsupply.com/tcbelts.htm
 

element10554

New member
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Glen Mills Pa
The 40 series has no factory predefined center distance for the TC so the belts come in many sizes. The 30 series with the back plate usually runs one belt as most as the same CD from the factory, but not the 40. There are charts listing the proper belt for each range of CDs.

Go here and scroll down to the 40 series chart. http://www.gokartsupply.com/tcbelts.htm

Thanks again I found that out today after I called go kart supply turns out my center distance is 11 3/4's from center to center they have a 12 5/8 which unfortunatley is no longer made and they have an 11 1/2 which is in stock but I am already rubbing my battery mount so I am going to drop the battery mount down a bit and raise the engine up enough to hover over it to get that extra 1/4 inch down.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top