• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave1701

Good for 100,000 Miles
Reaction score
So I was in a car accident in March whilst driving a 2002 Honda Odyssey where the minivan was pretty severely T-Boned on the passenger side. Both passenger side doors are inoperable. It still runs and drives, but of course it is not pretty at all, but my dad has been driving it and it drives fine other than being loud at high speeds due to the lack of seal on the heavily damaged doors. We want to sell it and put the money into another car. Plus I really hate having the **** wrecked car in the garage.

How much money do you think it is worth? What should we ask? Should we try to get some doors from a junkyard and try to replace the wrecked doors? I do not know if the frame is bent or not. Is that a hard job? Suggestions?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Get what you can for it and be rid of it. Based on your description, I'd bet that the B-pillar has been bent outta whack. To fix that, you need some pretty pricey hydraulic equipment and the experience to go with it.

Glad you're okay. About 6 years ago, my dad got t-boned driving a '92 Explorer. The idiotstick who hit him shot a red light at close to 60 MPH and never touched the brakes. Dad rolled corner-over-corner 4 times and ended up in a farmer's field on the far opposite side of the intersection. That night, I went to the impound lot to view the wreck. What I saw made me sick to my stomach, and it's a good thing I hadn't eaten...

Sorry- back on topic- If there is structural damage to the vehicle, forget it.

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
yea,if its frame is been touched in anyway you might as well drive on down to junk yard and either sell the car as whole or sell it by weight.i see guys around town payin 300 for junk cars and they must be turnin a profit so anything above 400 would be ok(for me) but dont get ripped off though.i brought in a kubota lawnmower(not knowing it was perfectly fine) and only got 50 bucks for it,they should paid me 150 at least.anyway,if no stuctuall damage is done i think it would be worth it to find second hand doors and make the van not be **** wrecked in your garage.

hope i helped ~ matman55

dave1701

Good for 100,000 Miles
Reaction score
wow, thats lower than I would have thought. I thought it would be at least a thousand because it drives fine and it could get someone to work and back fine.

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
i dout ide get a grand for a WRECKED MINIVAN. people are barley getin 1200 for old cars down here. so a van with frame and body damage is not guna sell for that. if i could get more than 400 for a car like that ide be very happy.

newrider3

Reaction score
I can't even get $2000 for a low mile Astro in perfectly good condition. If the wreck crunched both doors, then the pillar is likely boned too with damage to the unibody (there's no frame on these, guys!). As toystory said, repairs to the damaged unibody structure will be expensive, not something you can do at home unless you have heavy equipment and a death wish.

As of last Monday, unprepared steel was paying $0.01/lb locally, which would come out to about $430.00 according to the Odyssey's curb weight. If you took the time to strip and sell usable components, or at least separate copper wire, aluminum, and steel before scrapping this could be a much better number.

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
wow! 1 cent for 1 pound of steel?that really really low.
i get 66 cents for one pound of steel here,whats copper going for in your area?

newrider3

Reaction score
wow! 1 cent for 1 pound of steel?that really really low.
i get 66 cents for one pound of steel here,whats copper going for in your area?

I very much doubt that, I've never even gotten that for stainless or clean aluminum, might have gotten a little over $1.00/lb for copper or lead once. It's pretty **** high right now at 1cent, was closer to $100-$150 a ton a while back.

matman55

I dont have a camera!!
Reaction score
I very much doubt that, I've never even gotten that for stainless or clean aluminum, might have gotten a little over $1.00/lb for copper or lead once. It's pretty **** high right now at 1cent, was closer to $100-$150 a ton a while back.

weel if you dont belive me you can call up the people yourself.

2555 Hammock Road Mims, FL 32754
(321) 267-1170

And i REALLY dout its that low here,it just dosnt make sense. i
brought in a 200 sewer pipe and got 30 bucks for it. it wouldnt
that high at "1 cent" a pound.

dave1701

Good for 100,000 Miles
Reaction score
Well my dad says it is worth more that I would be able to sell it for to him because he can drive it to work and even 200 miles up north and get good mileage. I don't like it because it feels to me like having a bad omen around and I hate being constantly reminded about the accident...

Soo, I'm trying to get a job so I guess that is where the money will go once I get some. If I ever find a job... Who knew it would be so hard to find even a job at minimum wage as a high school grad?

Status
Not open for further replies.