Adjustable timing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
I never do things the easy way. It runs in the family.

Have any of yoos guys ever made the coil adjustable? Instead of using an offset key, why not slide the coil.

I know you would have to make some timing marks, but simply find the radiant and Mark off a few degrees in each direction.

Sounds simple enough.:cheers2:

mckutzy

Reaction score
I think I saw an adjustable racing coil once, just as you describe, meant for a hopped up briggs flathead... Theory makes sense, why uproot the flywheel if you don't need to...

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
I never do things the easy way. It runs in the family.

Have any of yoos guys ever made the coil adjustable? Instead of using an offset key, why not slide the coil.

I know you would have to make some timing marks, but simply find the radiant and Mark off a few degrees in each direction.

Sounds simple enough.:cheers2:

I think this would actually be a piece of cake, or pie, if you like.

mckutzy

Reaction score
I reckon a bracket that has slots for the coil to travel in an arc, could be used to have an additional timing, kinda like this one but adjustable.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
I reckon a bracket that has slots for the coil to travel in an arc, could be used to have an additional timing, kinda like this one but adjustable.

Looks like that's a drop bracket. Coil need to be moved in for the smaller flywheel.

---------- Post added at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

How about this?

That looks promising. Where did you find that? Perhaps I can fab one.

I was looking last night at the set up and thought about 2 plates kinda like that but in not sure the soil will have clearance on the one shown.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score
How far do you think you would have to move the coil for say 2deg in timing?
Not a bad idea really.

I have an 8" flywheel so the math goes like this:

N°/360° x 2πr

Fill in our variables, n=2 and r=4

2/360 x 2π4

.005 x 37.69

This equates to .139 inches.
.140 is equal to 9/64.

So by moving the coil 9/64ths would be the equivalent to 2°. But this is only for an 8 inch flywheel.

Whitetrashrocker

Inmate #952016
Reaction score

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if it's possible to not only have adjustable timing but rather variable timing based on rpms as well..

I mean the purely mechanical I doubt the intake creates enough of a vacuum to make that happen pneumatically.. but what if one would use a beefed up governor (heavier flyweights)
and install that in a way that it advances timing slightly at higher rpms... *shrugs*

just a thought, but I don't really see why that shouldn't be viable (well maybe not trivial ..likely overkill and not as reliable as a commercial (electronical) way...)
but just imagine you had that on your clone.. it'd be awesome :D

'sid

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
My raceseng flywheel and coil mount were adjustable fully................

Attachments

• IMG_20160928_182518045_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160928_182518045_HDR.jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20160928_182342021.jpg
    IMG_20160928_182342021.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 2

mckutzy

Reaction score
I wonder if a small pneumatic cylinder coud be used in that fashion... Where could be the tapping point for the vacuum?..

Status
Not open for further replies.