Adjustable Spindle Brackets

GR_Gady

Reaction score
I am building my first live axel go kart. After completing the steering, as I did for previous dead axle go karts, I realized that with a live axle there must be provisions for making caster and camber adjustments to the front wheels. Any suggestions on how this could be accomplished would be appreciated.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
1601554623950.png
Use heim joints (good ones), bolted to a substantial plate. The top hole radiused relative to the bottom hole. This set up almost infinitely adjustable.

erchuero

Reaction score
But how strong is that caster adjustment? I am assuming that is what is meant by top hole radiused relative to bottom, as it can move left or right on a slight curve? Is it held in place only by the tension from the heim joint bolt?

GR_Gady

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the information. I have obtained some high quality heim joints and I am in the process of creating the support plates. Can the support plates be purchased?

ol'joe

Reaction score
When we were setting caster on the old solid axle pickup trucks, there were wedges that we bolted between the axle and the spring bundle that adjusted the "tilt of the axle", and the process involved alternately switching around the position and thickness of the wedges, then driving the truck on a bumpy road to see how it handled.

I have NO DOUBT it could be done better, but the method of adjustment might be just fine if combined with better testing and correction. It would need a bolt-on front axle to be able to adjust this way, but that is not a bad thing anyhow.....Joe

Snaker

Reaction score
Well, I screwed around with a Ford pickup that used eccentric adapters, factory.
Basically have oversized mounting holes. Insert those adapters and turn to move the mounting points around.

Drill out holes oversized.
Make adapters to fit with off centered holes.