Add mini electric to predator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick956

Reaction score
Hey there, I have a predator 212cc on mg yerf dog 3203 and was wondering how to get power off coil? I don't have electric start and only have oil sensor and kill switch. Any help appreciated thanks

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
did ya try googling it? from what i know - that's the one drawback to these motors. good cheap engine, but no electric for lights. i hear a lot of people just get a nice beefy battery to power the lights, and recharge it as neccessary.

spend $150-200 and get a honda clone with a good charging circuit. something with 10 amps or more. i got me a leftover motor from a Baja Warrior mini-bike that just needs a good carb cleaning and a couple new bolts welded onto the fuel tank - first $100 takes it! :)

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I cannot remember, but have a look at these quotes and links

Your absolute best bet when it comes to a charging system, is to use (hopefully) an engine that had electric start as an option. This way, you can source and add the appropriate equipment to the engine, and it's a simple bolt-on affair.

Being in Canada, I'm not at all familiar with the Predator (we don't get 'em) or a Carrol Stream, for that matter. I do know that the Predator is clone-based. Therefore, MAYBE the charging coil from a Honda GX200 will fit, you'll have to do some homework. Same goes for the Carrol Stream. If it's a clone, you're probably okay to use GX parts.

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15649

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21160

http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=17919

Do some more searching on your own

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
you know it's funny, we got a bunch of "maybe's" a long time ago... you'd think by now the "experts" and moderators would be able to give us a straight answer. lol.

from what i recall reading into the subject, back when the popular answer was "maybe" was that it was going to be too much of a pain in the a$$ to add a charging setup capable of running lights. something about swapping flywheels, and what-not. evil stuff.

if ANYONE, and i mean ANYONE on this entire forum has had ANY luck adding a simple charging coil to a Predator motor (or similar clone) to sufficiently power lights (and i don't mean adding a car alternator, which would drain a few horsepower from the precious few that the motor has) - please respond!

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
you know it's funny, we got a bunch of "maybe's" a long time ago... you'd think by now the "experts" and moderators would be able to give us a straight answer. lol.

from what i recall reading into the subject, back when the popular answer was "maybe" was that it was going to be too much of a pain in the a$$ to add a charging setup capable of running lights. something about swapping flywheels, and what-not. evil stuff.

if ANYONE, and i mean ANYONE on this entire forum has had ANY luck adding a simple charging coil to a Predator motor (or similar clone) to sufficiently power lights (and i don't mean adding a car alternator, which would drain a few horsepower from the precious few that the motor has) - please respond!

Why should the moderators know. We know just as much as you do. :D:D:D:D:D

mysteryboy28

Reaction score
cuz with 6,458 posts, you're clearly constantly trolling the forum. you'd think maybe one of you guys would know EVERYTHING there was to know about karts and motors. lol.

2S Keisler

The Dune Cat
Reaction score
I have one of these motors and did some investigation on adding a charging circuit, and adding a starter. Bottom line: forget the chinese clone engine altogether and get a used genuine Honda. Then you can add the genuine Honda charging coil and flywheel, or get one of the low cost kits on ebay.

The Predator and all the other clone engines are nowhere near Honda quality. So consider these potential issues when you add parts to them:
1. you are dealing with the cheap chinese engine and the add on cheap chinese parts. There is no guarantee it will fit so you can get stuck with the add on parts.
2. the add on knock off parts cost as much as the Predator engine itself.
3. the knock off flywheels, and the clone engine stock flywheels, are not safe for rpm above 4000. So, if you want to remove the governor and get more HP, then you are right back to needing a good flywheel. The stock Honda flywheels are good for high RPM, according to Russell at NR Racing.

All engines that have electric start have a charging coil. Check out the Lifan engine lineup. They have electric start in the 5HP up range. Lifan is China's largest motorcycle mfr and they actually make a decent product - not great, but decent, and better than any other chinese mfr in the powersports market. You can find these Lifan engines on Amazon.com. The US distributor is in Phoenix and seems like a pretty good guy. He is selling a ton of these Lifan engines through Home Depo, Lowes, etc.

Another source for a high quality American made engine is Robin Subaru in WI. They have electric start engines found on many American cart makers. Use Craigslist and search around your area and you might score a used one for a great price. I am hoping to become a dealer for Robin Subaru soon. Their new line of EX series engines are really nice overhead camshaft engines, quiet.

Briggs' Intek line, of which the Animal engine is a derivative, also has electric start engines in the 6.5HP size. Briggs no longer sells engines for fun karts - only racing karts - and you will not find any of these on American karts. The old Briggs flat head engines (prior to '99) had electric start option and you can find these around. But they are heavy and don't run a ball bearing on the crankcase side cover so they are not near the reliability as a Honda or Robin.

Any charging circuit on these small engines is only going to be around 3amps. That means power output is 3amps x 12 volts = 36 watts. Consider that output when selecting your entire power load for the electric circuit.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
You can successfully add a car alternator without losing all your HP. This was one of my first "great feats" as a backwoods engineer. I added a second sprocket, smaller in size,a on the axle to drive a 90 amp alt using a bigger sprocket tac welded to the shaft without the pulley. I dont remember sizes but it was enough to spin the alt fast enough to charge the battery as we rode during the day and we had lights all night. You dont lose any HP because the alt spins with little to no effort. It works.... only draw back is it only charges as you drive.....

Last edited:

nick956

Reaction score
Not too bad since the lights draw minimal power such as LEDs. Only thing is that my wheels are a pain in the ,a** to remove cause there rusted onto axle.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score

cuz with 6,458 posts, you're clearly constantly trolling the forum. you'd think maybe one of you guys would know EVERYTHING there was to know about karts and motors. lol.

You're a funny guy. You do know that you get what you pay for, right?

2S Keisler

The Dune Cat
Reaction score
Hey Nick,

Check out the listings on ebay and you can find the charging coil and electric starter for your Predator. Same for the Amazon listing for the Lifan 6.5HP electric start for around $229.

I have a complete 150cc electric start GY6 engine assembly with the cage, completely mounted if you want to swap it out. It is a swing arm design.

nick956

Reaction score
I appreciate the help and thanks for offer but I had decided to not mess with charging circuit cause I rather have piece of mind and just get a mini generator that 12v with 2.5 amp which will give me 30watts and just connect some LEDs that are in that wattage span. That's all I wanted the charging coil for really to supply power to lights.

2S Keisler

The Dune Cat
Reaction score
Post up some pics of what you select. I was looking at some small Denso and Mitsubishi alternators as well.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
2SKeisler, last time i set up a charging system with alternator as I described was in fact an alt from a Mitsubishi mini truck.... convert to 1 wire charge. Has to have a built in regulator though.....

Status
Not open for further replies.