Absolutely crazy idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Ok, if you were trying to torque down an engine bolt and you didn't have any other way of locking down the shaft, could you put water into the cylinder and purposely hydrolock it to make the shaft not turn?

anickode

Reaction score
Ok, if you were trying to torque down an engine bolt and you didn't have any other way of locking down the shaft, could you put water into the cylinder and purposely hydrolock it to make the shaft not turn?

I wouldn't recommend it. It would leak past the rings and get in your oil for sure. Motor oil would be much better.

Tightening that bolt would be applying torque to the engine backwards, so you'd want to turn the engine to the bottom of the power stroke before putting the oil in. When turning the engine backwards, the power stroke is the only spot you'll have an upward moving Piston with closed valves. You definitely don't want to end up on the intake stroke, turning backwards, and blow oil through your carburetor.

You'd be better off removing the recoil starter and putting a long screwdriver through the notches in the starter cup.

Or buy a strap wrench. They aren't that expensive.

One thing I've done before is the old remove the head, stuff a rag in the cylinder, and put the head back on trick. Although that method is a little more practical when you're assembling an engine.

Or just give it one ugga-dugga with an impact...

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Or just give it one ugga-dugga with an impact...

saved the best for last huh? :D

That, exactly that and nothing more is really needed..
if you lack an impact wrench get a wrecnch on it and slap the handle down with a rubber mallet... same idea

(a drop of loctite for additional security in case you're not trusting the such tightened bolt doesn't harm)

'sid

Panhead5496

Reaction score
I usually put my socket wrench on the bolt and just whack it with a hammer a few times. The sudden impact from the hammer makes it tighten down nicely! If you use an impact wrench make sure you don't over tighten!!

anickode

Reaction score
I usually put my socket wrench on the bolt and just whack it with a hammer a few times. The sudden impact from the hammer makes it tighten down nicely! If you use an impact wrench make sure you don't over tighten!!

Wrench + impact = impact wrench.

Hence the name.

mckutzy

Reaction score

Panhead5496

Reaction score
Wrench + impact = impact wrench.

Hence the name.

Yeah I know what an impact wrench is haha...:p

It's just way easier to keep pulling an impact trigger thinking you are making something good and tight when you are actually over tightening and stripped/warping things. The socket/hammer method is harder to over tighten stuff with.

TL;DR be careful not to overtighten with an impact wrench lol

mckutzy

Reaction score
If a piece of filiment flakes off inside the cylinder... It could get wedged inbetween the piston an wall... Also it'll melt and produce a carbon pellet that can cause further damage.. Cotton or natural material just burn up and vacated as exhaust...

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
I usually use an old un-usable TC stationary plate with holes that I drilled in it which match the engines clutch mounting pattern.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
I usually use an old un-usable TC stationary plate with holes that I drilled in it which match the engines clutch mounting pattern.

That seems like the best option. Then the block is holding the shaft and not the rod, even though the rod should be able to handle it. It could also probably be done with a centrifugal clutch too.

Status
Not open for further replies.