A little more HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonathanEngr

Member
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Location
Bostic, NC, USA
Hi, all! I haven't been on for a bit... I've been having too much fun playing with (my kid's) kart! I really appreciate all of the tips and info that was provided to me at the beginning... it made this quite a pleasure. I also recently (finally!) learned to weld, so you can imagine the add-ons this kart now has... LOL!

The kart runs great. It has a 6.5 HP electric start engine I purchased from Carroll Stream Motor Co., and it still cranks on the first rotation every time. However, when going uphill slightly, the kart doesn't seem to have enough power to wind out the torque converter. Thus, it is MUCH slower going up even slight hills.

I don't want a 50 mph screamer.... not at all. But is there something I can do to increase the power slightly that might help it engage the variable gearing on the TC going uphill? I've heard that changing out the exhaust sometimes will give you another HP or so. I read the appropriately named "Exhaustive Guide to Exhaust", and I'm more concerned with making it perform worse. I *do* want to change out the exhaust regardless, as the exhaust on the CS engine doesn't allow me to place the battery in the battery tray frame (the exhaust comes out right at it, which concerns me). How would I go about choosing the right exhaust tube size and muffler? From what I could see, there were no general guides in the stickied forum other than "You don't want the pipe to be too big, as it slows the exhaust velocity too much. At the same time, a larger pipe eliminates backpressure, which is a good thing."

I'm a practicing Civil Engineer, and one of the things I design frequently is pressure pipe systems. I'm completely understand the relationship between velocity and pressure, and of course, in water systems, a bigger pipe is always better to keep velocity low to keep friction losses down. Thus, keeping the exhaust pipe large to eliminate backpressure makes perfect sense, but the velocity has me a bit confused. It seems it would be more of a volumetric situation to me (I'll explain my thoughts in detail if someone is curious). Anyway... any recommendations on exhaust modifications, and would it help? I see all types of exhaust headers to connect to the block, and all types of mufflers to go with the header. Also--I don't want to make the exhaust any louder...

Other than exhaust, what are some other ways to get another HP or two out of the engine? I would prefer to do no internal mods as the engine runs great as it is. But... if it's the only way to do it I'll gladly listen to any suggestions. Thanks!
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
I'm a practicing Civil Engineer, and one of the things I design frequently is pressure pipe systems. I'm completely understand the relationship between velocity and pressure, and of course, in water systems, a bigger pipe is always better to keep velocity low to keep friction losses down.

I'm glad you mentioned that, think about this:

If you have a 1" outlet, you wouldn't connect it straight to a 4" outlet pipe would you? No, because you would lose all pressure & the more you try to fill the 4" pipe, the worse it gets, correct?

So, use the same principle when designing an exhaust; look at the diameter of the exhaust port & use a tube that closely matches it to create a header pipe, then, after about 4", increase it to around double the size; that should give you a decent performance boost & a deep, throaty growl but, it will be a little loud...

If you want to keep it quiet, source or make a straight through muffler with an ID slightly larger than the header pipe...

Other than exhaust, what are some other ways to get another HP or two out of the engine? I would prefer to do no internal mods as the engine runs great as it is. But... if it's the only way to do it I'll gladly listen to any suggestions. Thanks!

You shoud also install a hi flow air filter, no point letting it breathe out if it can't breathe in
 

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
9
... along w/ the high flow air filter, youll also may need to widen the jet abit aswell... or itll run TOO lean n rob all sorts of potential hp.

Ive found that the quieter a muffler.. the more restrictive= pointless for 'gaining' hp. Just remember this rule, Ive noticed bout motors n upgrading hp(using the same motor) = the louder the noise... If its quiet n upgraded hp... Someones lieing bout it being the same motor/block/case. Opening, cutting away, thining, enlarging... all create more db's(sound volume) than factory specs.

Also(depending on which model TC), you can try moving your driven spring to the 3rd hole... Could help w/ those hills.
 

JonathanEngr

Member
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Location
Bostic, NC, USA
Thank you for the replies!! As for widening the jet, will that require replacing the jet in the carb, or can it simply be bored out a bit more? I've never worked on a go-kart carb before, so this is all new to me.

One thing that did intrigue me was the driven pulley. I've never done a thing to it, but I did have to do a few things to the driver. Is there a sticky and/or thread on here with pics to do what you're mentioning?

As for the exhaust, I see so many different headers out there. First of all, I'm not sure how much of a "clone" my engine is. Speaking to the manufacturer, they state that a lot of the engine is cloned from the GX200, but that it may not be 100% compatible. Kind-of stinks not knowing what is and what isn't. Anyway, I think the bolt holes center-to-center on my exhaust manifold are 45mm apart. Does that seem like the standard size for the GX200?

As far as headers, there are lots of them listed on eBay. Some that wrap around and face down towards the ground (I think someone said facing the ground does help eliminate some noise), some that stick straight back, and so-on. There are also several high-flow mufflers out there. I noticed than K&N has setups for gokarts... but I don't want to dump that much cash into it.

As for intakes, there are countless "high flow" filters on eBay that look a lot like the K&N intake filters (conical shape, etc.). They are priced right at $10 with free shipping. Would this give me any better flow over the stock filter? Lastly, jets... I guess I'll have to break into the carb to figure out sizing...?
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Here's how I made my exhaust & here's what it sounds like (a larger diameter extension will give a deeper note), as well as instructions on how to make the extension piece but, the important part is the header...

I've since replaced the extension with a PeeWee 50 muffler that my buddy gave me; it sounds better & doesn't rob any power...

True, there are dozens of filters available that will do the job but, the most important part is the adaptor to mount it to the carb...

As for the jet (which I neglected to mention :oops: ), you can bore it out if you have a set of precision drills or buy a larger one, your choice...
 

JonathanEngr

Member
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Location
Bostic, NC, USA
Wow--very simple assembly on the header! Those were just straight pipes--no baffles, correct?

As for the air filter, it looks like it comes with a rubber ring and hose clamp. Seems like it would simply slip over a collar and tighten down, but I haven't taken my air filter assembly off to see if it has a round adapter. I believe it says it has a 39 mm collar. I'll look into it a bit more.

Regarding the jets, I will likely just replace what's there. That way I can always go back if needed.

I'm still curious about the comment on the comet TC. Is there a way to lessen the centrifugal force required for the drive ratio to begin changing?
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Hole #1 is for flat ground. Hole #2 is a mixture of both flat and hilly ground. Hole#3 is for hilly/rough terrain. Put it on #3 and see if it's any better....
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
73
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
Wow--very simple assembly on the header! Those were just straight pipes--no baffles, correct?

Correct

As for the air filter, it looks like it comes with a rubber ring and hose clamp. Seems like it would simply slip over a collar and tighten down, but I haven't taken my air filter assembly off to see if it has a round adapter. I believe it says it has a 39 mm collar. I'll look into it a bit more.

If it has the stock airbox, you will need an adaptor; you can buy them in kit form, ensuring the filter will fit the adaptor

 

JonathanEngr

Member
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Location
Bostic, NC, USA
Fabroman--gotcha. After removing my airbox assembly I see that there is no place for the gasket to attach.

Firemanjim--Do you know if there is a thread showing how this is done? I downloaded the manual for the comet 30 series torque converter, but all it has is the statement that the spring tension can be adjusted. I'm afraid of loosening or removing something and having an "explosion" of springs..! I say this because in the sticky on "maintaining your torque converter" it states that messing with the driven pulley is a bad idea unless you know exactly what you are doing.
 

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Messages
5,247
Reaction score
88
Location
Houston Texas
Na, it ain't that bad.... I'll find the info you need and post it, give me a minute.... Think I saved it in my tablet....
EDIT, well I saved a screen shot of what I needed. Once it's apart, move the spring to hole number 3. Then follow these directions.... NO springs are gonna just explode on ya....
GRRRRRRRR won't let me post it...hold on
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top