A friendly hello from Down Under

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green4991

J-Rad
Reaction score
Hey guys, howsit going? A friendly hello from Down Under (New Zealand). I've just signed up to this forum, and I'm interested in building my own mini chopper. Any tips would be appreciated, and if anyone here is from New Zealand please let me know so I can get in touch :)

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum man, when you get some sketchups you'll be flooded with crazy suggestions. Do you have any parts or ideas already?

Green4991

J-Rad
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum man, when you get some sketchups you'll be flooded with crazy suggestions. Do you have any parts or ideas already?

Nah man, I don't have any ideas or parts. Well, I do have an idea, I want to get a mini chopper of some sort...but yeah, I don't know anything about making/designing them. I do want to make it road legal for NZ, and look like a cruiser...but its a mini chopper so not really gonna be for long distance but to get me to work haha. If you feel like sketching anything, feel free I'll take everything into account.

Thanks!

Green4991

J-Rad
Reaction score
Hey thanks bro. I don't really know what I need for the bike eh...I want to start building the frame etc ASAP then work on the engine when I get there haha. Do you know any good places in NZ to buy steel? Thanks

Cam

Nz Petrolhead
Reaction score
fletcher, steel and tube nz, nz steel are the mains

- check your local though theres always an engineering firm that could sell you lengths, check your scrap merchant, exhaust shops are a good place to go for thin wall tube, they allways have bends and cut outs in the scrap bin.

Those suzuki motors are a rare find, at that cheap price

one of the 250er motors would be mean on a minibike,
then again he only wants 250 for the 550 and 350 combined!

what im saying is you might want to take it while its there and work around the motor, depends he might only want 50 or 100 for one of those 185'cc motors and if ya have the dosh, i would take one..

Cheers, Cam.

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
if you have the money you should build it from a crashed bike. might even be the cheapest way instead of buying seperate parts.

Cam

Nz Petrolhead
Reaction score
Problem is finding a crashed bike thats cheap enough, they are not so common here, maybe an 80's dirt bike with the old style spokes on the wheels and simple electrics, but road bikes i think you would have a hard time finding, very good idea im under the impression he wants to build one from scratch however.

Cheers, Cam.

Status
Not open for further replies.