'93 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
Believe me, the trans is toast. The bands & clutches are worn to a point where no amount of adjusting will help...

I was only trying to get you a little more time out of it

HellSpawn

Reaction score
Believe me, the trans is toast. The bands & clutches are worn to a point where no amount of adjusting will help...

I was only trying to get you a little more time out of it

Oh I know, I understand, I know for a fact the clutch pack is toast. When I drained/flushed the original fluid it was a silver/black metallic paste. All clutch material. I'm just saying its more than likely clogging stuff up causing other symptoms not normally caused by clutches.

Found a transmission, going to pick it up next week when I get paid. $200 w/ 90k on it.

HellSpawn

Reaction score
Possibly, otherwise I have a buddy that works at a dealership that would do it for $150.

Might just take that route so it gets done faster and the right way, never done a FWD trans swap.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Possibly, otherwise I have a buddy that works at a dealership that would do it for $150.

Might just take that route so it gets done faster and the right way, never done a FWD trans swap.

That's a good price for a FWD trans swap. You'd need an engine support bar if you did it yourself, anyway.

Remove components bolted to top of trans in engine bay, secure engine support bar to engine, remove front wheels, remove CV shaft bolts, remove tierods, disconnect lower control arms, remove CV shafts, disconnect shift linkage, disconnect electrical connectors, disconnect clutch hydraulic line, unbolt engine from trans, divorce trans from engine and drop.

HellSpawn

Reaction score
That's a good price for a FWD trans swap. You'd need an engine support bar if you did it yourself, anyway.

Remove components bolted to top of trans in engine bay, secure engine support bar to engine, remove front wheels, remove CV shaft bolts, remove tierods, disconnect lower control arms, remove CV shafts, disconnect shift linkage, disconnect electrical connectors, disconnect clutch hydraulic line, unbolt engine from trans, divorce trans from engine and drop.

I've been told its easier to pull everything out in one piece with this car. Unsure of how credible that is though.

But yeah, I'll more than likely have my buddy do it for me. Good price and I know its getting done right.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
I've been told its easier to pull everything out in one piece with this car. Unsure of how credible that is though.

But yeah, I'll more than likely have my buddy do it for me. Good price and I know its getting done right.

Not really. Means alot more to unhook/reconnect. Also means you have to evacuate and charge the A/C system (if equiped).

OzFab

Reaction score

Not really. Means alot more to unhook/reconnect. Also means you have to evacuate and charge the A/C system (if equiped).

It's true this model was designed so the subframe can be unbolted & dropped out with the driveline intact but, as devino points out, it's not that simple.

If your buddy will do it for $150, go with that. When mine went it cost me a total of $1200 (tow truck $200, used replacement trans $350, R & R trans $650

HellSpawn

Reaction score
So I've gone this long without replacing the transmission yet, Didn't get worse, got a little bit better until the last few days, and now I can only drive the car about 3-4 miles until it'll fall into a false neutral.

I do however know whats causing this and I can either take the time to fix the issue and hold onto my money for a while longer, or just go ahead and get a used transmission and swap it.

I'm thinking I might just do both, I'm going to purchase a used transmission and have a guy I know go through it and freshen it up and make sure it's solid before it goes in the car.

But tomorrow I will be dropping the pan and completely cleaning it all out, new filter, new gasket. New fluid. What's happening when I am driving the car is the pickup is picking up all of the crud and stuff from the clutch bands and eventually clogging the filter up, and when I shut the engine off and coast in neutral for a few seconds, all of the crud falls back down to the pan and I can start it back up and continue on.

Status
Not open for further replies.