'93 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.

HellSpawn

Reaction score
Got me another awesome deal on what I will be making my daily driver.

1993 Toyota Camry XLE 3.0 V6, all leather interior.

Needs a transmission which I've already located for $250. Has a weak reverse. Otherwise the rest of the car is absolutely mint (aside from the passenger fender ofc)

Paid $400 total for the car.

Attachments

• SANY0122.jpg
    SANY0122.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 17
  • SANY0120.jpg
    SANY0120.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 6
  • SANY0112.jpg
    SANY0112.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 5
  • SANY0111.jpg
    SANY0111.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:

fowler

Reaction score
thats quite a deal

its amazing what someone will sell for if its just too hard to fix
i guess i aint going to find a car with that high mileage that doesnt have a few issues and dents

what happened to the radio??

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
What engine does it have? I'm guessing 3VZ-FE

Mine has over 300k on the clock & drives like a new car. These things are virtually bulletproof.

Just as long as they're taken care of. If the PO(s) took as good of care mechanically as they did asthetically, he should be good.

Nodroz

Reaction score
A friend of me says he'll always stick to Toyota when it comes to cars. He bought he car 2nd hand for €1500 with about 150 000 km, now a few years later is had over 250 000 km and it's still driving like a charm! Just incredible, these cars are indeed bulletproof!

HellSpawn

Reaction score
What engine does it have? I'm guessing 3VZ-FE

Mine has over 300k on the clock & drives like a new car. These things are virtually bulletproof.

Correct, 3VZ-FE.

And I knew for a fact this car still has plenty of life left in it, there was no way I was going to pass up on something practically free that looked so good and could be so useful.

Everything on the car is mechanically sound, the engine purrs like a kitten, driveline aside from the transmission is all perfect. Suspension is still stout and smooth, no noticeable sag.

fourtogo

Reaction score
Is this is the Camry V6 with the manifold over rear cylinder bank type of engine. I had that type of V6 Camry . What pain in A too change spark plugs . You have to remove Intake Manifold to get to the back 3 plugs . If so do valve cover gasket while in there and replace plug wires also<<<<< you can't even pull the wires ether.

HellSpawn

Reaction score
Is this is the Camry V6 with the manifold over rear cylinder bank type of engine. I had that type of V6 Camry . What pain in A too change spark plugs . You have to remove Intake Manifold to get to the back 3 plugs . If so do valve cover gasket while in there and replace plug wires also<<<<< you can't even pull the wires ether.

Yup, same setup. It doesn't bother me too much because I'll be more than likely freshening up nearly every gasket I can along with the simple tune-up I have planned anyway.

OzFab

Reaction score

No you don't. Have a look at this.

They also use platinum plugs; expensive but only need to be changed every 60k miles

OzFab

Reaction score
Not a bad idea; the rear rocker covers are prone to leaking for some reason & you may as well change the timing belt & water pump too... unless you have a record of when they were last done

HellSpawn

Reaction score
Not a bad idea; the rear rocker covers are prone to leaking for some reason & you may as well change the timing belt & water pump too... unless you have a record of when they were last done

according to the documentation I found in the car, the last timing belt/water pump replacement was in 2011/25k miles ago so thats all good.

HellSpawn

Reaction score
Gave her a trans flush, topped off all of the rest of the fluids and gave her a good polishin'

Results...

Attachments

• SANY0126.jpg
    SANY0126.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 8
  • SANY0125.jpg
    SANY0125.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:

fourtogo

Reaction score
No you don't. Have a look at this.

They also use platinum plugs; expensive but only need to be changed every 60k miles

Time and money. The Spark plug boot is very long and has some sort of phenolic piece . It makes the plug wire end about 4-5" long and it can't make the turn from under the manifold . At 125thou a Toyota is just broken in . My Mom's Lex has the big in line 6 and that's a great engine lots of power the 2000 lex is every easy to work on . The Camry is like the 50lb's of stuff in 20lb stack deal .

HellSpawn

Reaction score
Time and money. The Spark plug boot is very long and has some sort of phenolic piece . It makes the plug wire end about 4-5" long and it can't make the turn from under the manifold . At 125thou a Toyota is just broken in . My Mom's Lex has the big in line 6 and that's a great engine lots of power the 2000 lex is every easy to work on . The Camry is like the 50lb's of stuff in 20lb stack deal .

I had no problems getting the boots off, just took a little finaglin' in the right directions.

Got all of the plugs changed out though, definitely had a dead cylinder in the rear bank. Was covered in soot/oil/gas.

Runs like a dream now, oodles of V6 powa!

Just need to get a dang transmission in the thing because its progressively getting worse in drive even.

Occasionally will just completely let go and act like its in neutral. Have to put it in neutral, turn the key off for a few seconds, crank it back up and it'll go. Makes for some fun times at stop lights and on the highway. :X

OzFab

Reaction score
Usually, with automatics, reverse is the first to go. If you're now losing drive, you've got about 2-3 days before it ain't goin' anywhere.

A little trick I learned which might give you a few more days: Drain & remove the oil pan from the bottom of the transmission. Inside you will find the filter (it's the corrugated tin foil looking thing). Remove the filter & replace the oil pan & oil. Unless it's just too far gone, you should get a bit more life out of it.

Note: This is not a good idea for a working trans but, at this point, it can't do any more damage

HellSpawn

Reaction score
Usually, with automatics, reverse is the first to go. If you're now losing drive, you've got about 2-3 days before it ain't goin' anywhere.

A little trick I learned which might give you a few more days: Drain & remove the oil pan from the bottom of the transmission. Inside you will find the filter (it's the corrugated tin foil looking thing). Remove the filter & replace the oil pan & oil. Unless it's just too far gone, you should get a bit more life out of it.

Note: This is not a good idea for a working trans but, at this point, it can't do any more damage

I'm almost certain that whats happening is that the transmission is not downshifting when it needs to due to clutch material in the fluid making valves/solenoids sticky.

I've already flushed it and ran some trans-tune through it but it hasn't seemed to make a difference. Only happens when the car is warmed up completely though.

Status
Not open for further replies.