64 Bug Sprint Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a nice little kart you have there. I like the colour scheme. What engine do you have for it? Have you got a metal engine mount? I just see wood back there

jandj

Reaction score
While I'm a firm believer in "It's yours, you can whatever you please with it", as a vintage guy my heart hurts to see that.
That's not a criticism to the owner, merely my emotional response to seeing a classic race kart reduced to it's current state as a Frankenyardkart.
Kind of like putting 22" spinners on a '63 Vette.

Ean Gdaniec

Reaction score
I totally agree. I actually want to get the original paint job done to it. And yes, I might change the paint job later. Perhaps ford blue body and silver wheels? The color ruins the overall vintage touch. What are your thoughts on what I should do?

jandj

Reaction score
My opinion is it should be restored to original.
It won't be cheap, but everything you need is available.
K&P (Bug) shut down earlier this year, but their stuff and repops are out there.
PM me an address and I'll point you in the right direction.
You've got a classic that deserves to be restored to it's former glory.
Plus, if you can get to a vintage meet or some local track time you'll have a blast!

Ean Gdaniec

Reaction score
The poor thing only came to me as a rusty frame. Fortunately, although I'm only 18, and never lived the glory days of vintage karts, would love to see the thing fully and originally restored. The bad side, however, is that I cannot spend much more on it. I do know someone who can give me a replica seat. But however I don't know where else to find aftermarket parts. I glad you gave me criticism. Shows that there is some good taste left to the good days.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Ebay has some vintage kart stuff. Although it would probably be hard to get the exact part you need but they do have a lot of stuff. They even sell full carts.

d340b

Reaction score
Just go to the Rear engine racers site and look at the members karts to get paint ideas.
If you don't have the cash for a vintage 2 stroke go ahead and run what you can. But its best not to do any cutting or welding on collectable karts. Good luck with project.

Ean Gdaniec

Reaction score
64 Bug Sprint continued

So I finally got back into being able to work with my father on my go kart. The brakes are almost complete! Just a little tweaking. Otherwise, the pictures should do the rest of the talking.
Criticism is fine, It's a first for us.
My father found a way to use the bracket which was once used to bolt the hydraulic brakes on the side-into a cable securer.:cheers2:

Attachments

• 20160321_172546.jpg
    20160321_172546.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20160321_172612.jpg
    20160321_172612.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20160321_172628.jpg
    20160321_172628.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 10

mckutzy

Reaction score
On the first pic... You going to need to have something like what is on a bicycle for the brake/gear levers to secure the cable sheith. It's going to move as soon as you apply the brakes.

Ean Gdaniec

Reaction score
On the first pic... You going to need to have something like what is on a bicycle for the brake/gear levers to secure the cable sheith. It's going to move as soon as you apply the brakes.

We actually do, if you are talking about the inner cable, and not the housing. The image is a a bit fuzzy, but we have the cable running through the bolt, kindof bend on the washer, and tightened between the washer and bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.